OT: Winter tyres and insurance companies

Since this came up in a previous thread:

John Rumm

mandatory snow tyres...

Scotland could do with tyres which wear from snow-to-summer tread, rest of the country could do with a better winter/wet weather tyre (too much focus on all out summer grip, which for the UK is a bit pointless).

Insurers can increase premiums where snow tyres are fitted to alloys, where original wheels were steel.

Reply to
js.b1

If I had a spare set of steel rims with winter tyres (or even a identical set of alloys as originally fitted) it wouldn't even occur to me to tell the insurers. Given you generally choose a random set of tyres to be fitted that are compatible with the rims anyway, I don't see what difference having "winter" grade makes as long as they are the right size.

I can understand upgrading from steels to alloys might make a difference

- they are more nickable, but not the tyres or a downgrade to steels.

It's all very weird. I found the Michelin Energies that came on my VW to be as grippy as butter under diesel torque so they got changed for something rather better last time around.

I'm seriously considering a spare set of winters too...

Reply to
Tim Watts

"The ABI said providing tyres are fitted by a reputable garage, and in accordance with the manufacturer's instructions, motorists should not be charged a higher premium."

How much more would be charged if the garage was unreputable, or only moderately reputable?

Djornsk

Or, heaven forbid, if you had done it yourself .

Reply to
fred

ARWadsworth

Not allowed under Part T:-)

Reply to
ARWadsworth

People who have done it had better tread carefully then.

G.harman

Reply to
damduck-egg

That joke's a little tyred is it not?

Reply to
Syke

My brother (who lives in North Germany) tells me this is mandatory over there now. Winter tyres become mandatory when the temp has dropped below a certian level for some time.

He has 2 sets of wheels with tyres on them and although he has the means to change wheels (and tyres), he tells me that local garages will store customers tyres and or wheels between changes.

Gordon

Reply to
Gordon Henderson

Why. Did that rubber you up the wrong way ?

Reply to
geoff

Winters make a noticable difference to the available grip on snow/compacted snow. As far as the insurer is concerned having winter tyres must(*) reduce the risk. But I agree many people will just buy the cheapest they can find of the right size when it comes to replacing a tyre, I bet they don't tell their insurer either.

Or what about buying a second hand car? Do you contact the manufacturer to find out what tyres it had fitted when it left the factory and tell your insurer that it now has "Wee SLPs" instead of "GRP Yhoos"?

If was driving about on the tyres that came with my car (they are not OEM) I wouldn't be, they are hopeless on snow. I'd be far higher risk on those tyres than the winters I have on ATM.

(*) Unless the driver thinks "as I've now got winters on I can drive around as normal", that just ain't true and winter tyres or not ice is just damn slippy.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

No, not at all, but I think I'd better just keep a low profile anyway.

Reply to
Syke