OT- Winter electricity margin down yet another 500MW, possibly 1000MW

Half the site had already been forced to close under the LCPD earlier this year with the loss of 1000MW, this fire is in the remaining half. 500MW not expected back in service this financial year (31st March 2015). The other 500MW lost until 1st November 2014. Fire service still on site trashing everything they can see with water :)

Without the save the whale/panda/bunny environment bollocks that bit of plant wouldn't have even been retrofitted in the first place.

The 68MW wood chip biomass plant next door is still under construction for what little it will ever do. I'm sure a bunny somewhere will be grateful.

Reply to
The Other Mike

I'm a bit out of practice with coal fired plant, anyone recognise which bits of plant seem to be involved? Two vertical cylindrical structures.

Reply to
newshound

/I'm a bit out of practice with coal fired plant, anyone recognise which bits of plant seem to be involved? Two vertical cylindrical structures/q

How are you at reading the links provided?

Jim K

Reply to
JimK

This was a bit careless of the owners?

You cannot blame the fire brigade they don't want surprises ehen their people ar inside now do they?

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

The Other Mike

I'm passingly interested in what actually burnt, i.e. what was the material that combusted. I can't imagine too much combustible material in or around a de-sulphurisation plant; mostly metal pipes, pumps and lime slurry I would have thought, possibly with some mineral-based insulation. But plenty of black smoke reminiscent of a domestic chimney fire. Do these things get sooted up? Seems unlikely.

Reply to
Chris Hogg

Ditto

The whole site was apparently undergoing major maintenance.

Some detail on the Drax FGD plant here with the operational temperatures, note the use of rubber linings to prevent corrosion.

Reply to
The Other Mike

Thanks. Burning rubber and resin would be pretty smoky, I guess.

Reply to
Chris Hogg

And this is in the week the demolished Didcot...

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris