OT: windows XP install on 2 PCs (sort of DIY)

I've just bought and installed XP and am considering buying one of the CsOA advertised on ebay so I can install XP on a 2nd PC. Presumably it's legal as it's an unused COA, has anybody bought one and done this? (there are also "used" CsOA but I can't see how these are any use). Is there any other way other than paying the full fee to MS?

(COA = Certificate Of Authenticity)

Reply to
Dave

The cheapest way to get a totally legit full version is to buy an OEM version along with some significant hardware (motherboard, hard drive etc). According to EU law you are entitled to transfer a software license that was supplied with a machine if it's no longer used on that machine, but Microsoft don't see it that way. As long as the COA that you get hasn't been registered you will be okay whether it's used or not. Apparently Microsoft is actually okay about supplying the activation key by 'phone without asking questions, and even say that you can install the same software on your desktop and laptop with a single license, but that's just hearsay.

Reply to
Rob Morley

We buy OEM packs from:

Reply to
Grunff

MS have a habit of declaring many activities illegal even when to most right mided people they seem fine. (i.e. they would treat a "grey import" of a real version of windows from another EU member state exactly as if it was a pirate version, even though an import of this type would be fully legal under EU law).

The less legit way would be to run a key generator program....

Reply to
John Rumm

I think that MS are reasonable about and individual transfering a copy of Windows from an expired machine onto a new one.

What they don't want to let you do is sell on the OS separately from the PC, (perhaps after you have replaced it with Linux - not an issue now that naked PCs are easy to buy).

tim

Reply to
tim

Buying a copy of Windows off ebay is pointless. The license is non transferable. An OEM one is only valid if sold with a PC (You may get away with a HDD or motherboard) by an official microsoft reseller. You might as well just pirate it if you buy a legitimate copy by illegitimate means.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Smith (UK)

Actually I didn't say any of the above, never mind

It might be risky, it isn't pointless.

This depends on the country of the seller. A German court has already been asked to rule on the validity of this clause and decided it is invalid. I see no reason why a UK court shouldn't come to the same conclusion were it to be asked (it is an unfair term in a consumer contract).

No.

This is the requirement. The OEM product is available for self-builders who upgrade a machine.

In any case there are many people who ignore this rule. ISTM that no-one is going to buy a copy of Win XP at full price when you can buy it preinstalled onto a brand new PC (sans monitor) for a couple of quid more. I doubt MS sell enough full price products to make it worth while

Selling the OEM product to someone who doesn't qualify is the rist to the seller, it's unlikey to be at much risk to the buyer.

tim

Reply to
tim