OT Windows Vista Warning

But you dug it up when it had been dead for four days and it has to be the most boring topic of all time because it goes nowhere. I support Chelsea, and Arsenal are rubbish. Perhaps you'd like to discuss that for a few weeks. Within my family Macs outnumber PCs by 3 to 1 but fortunately we have more interesting things to discuss.

As to the rest of your rant,

"I've just bought the most disgustingly expensive Apple laptop available - a 17" 2.33 GHz 2Mb/160Gb thingy."

Wow! I'm impressed.

Reply to
Stuart Noble

And if course Windows support is provided free, isn't it? Oh no, look it actually costs more to support Windows kit than it does to support Apple kit.

Reply to
Stephen Firth

I see you haven't got the idea that news is not irc.

No, I'd ignore it, not scream like a kid that's dropped his candy.

Gosh I'm impressed, and you watch football as well, that must make you a towering intellectual.

Oh look at the bit you snipped:

"It was *cheaper* than the equivalent Novatech built unit at £1500."

I was trying to "impress" someone by going for the cheap option eh? Are you and logic doomed to be strangers for ever?

Believe me, if I could be arsed to "impress" someone with wealth, tuppeny ha'penny computers would not be where I would start.

Reply to
Stephen Firth

Still bragging eh? Where would you start? I guess it would be a long job.

Reply to
Stuart Noble

This seems to have turned very nasty very early on - it seems certain people are responding to more than one poster with insults mistakingly thinking their the same person. As one other person said - it's OT, and now way out of hand. I only fed back what used to be the case and what my company is paying to allow a group of people to install, support, and source spares for company wide installs approved to apple requirements - someone said rubbish to the costs - that would be news to my department.

Reply to
tester

No, but I can see that the green eyed idol has you in its clutches. Get over it, not everyone is poor.

Reply to
Stephen Firth

That was me, because you were talking rubbish. Do your PCs get maintained for free? Do our PCs in fact cost significantly more than 10K per annum to maintain and administrate. Well, yes if your company is big enought o have departments, it will cost you hundreds of thousands in wages to maintain your PC systems.

Complaining about the cost of Macs while ignoring the cost of PCs is downright daft.

Reply to
Stephen Firth

Once again all you do is come back with insults - the cost per person to my department (3 people each undergoing training) is a little short of £10,000 each and the 'apple accredited status' lasts for a year - then further approval needs to be re-gained at some cost - this is is install, certify and get parts - as I stated.

I never compared pc-mac costs (you did) I just mentioned this one specific cost, but you keep saying 'rubbish' to the figures my company is forced to pay as per what I have stated. At least I apologised for the way many people in this thread are acting - you seemingly can only insult people.

Reply to
tester

So increase the Mac user base and dump the Windows junk. Users would think that you are a hero.

Manufacturer acreditation is nothing new - IBM did it, major PC manufacturers do it as do major networking vendors.

It's an illusion to suggest that because there are a bunch of PC vendors that it is competitive and investment is minimal

It doesn't work like that.

Reply to
Andy Hall

You have changed your tale, again. Previously it was £10,000 for the department, now you are claiming £10,000 perhead which is farcical. Why would you need to buy the equivalent of six Quad Xeon MAcs every year for each person working inteh department?

You are not being clear about what it is that your "department" does. Nor even what the purpose of buying £10K of parts per person per year is.

Indeed, because to mention costs for just one system in an attempt to rubbish that system without mentionign context is pointless.

Because your claims are rubbish. Or are unquantified. One of the PC systems I work on costs in the region of £20K per annum just to keep running, that fact is meaningless as is the tripe you are posting. Until the purpose of that spend and the business benefit are explained the numbers are meaningless. And yours are particularly suspect.

You can only apologise for yourself, not for someone else.

What do you want, a shoulder to cry on?

Reply to
Stephen Firth