OT Windows Vista Warning

Fail in what way? Not work at all? Please give reference for this claim.

Not a chance, not a chance at all.

Reply to
Ed Chilada

LOL! Windows has to run on perhaps a zillion more hardware platform configurations than Apple *ever* has to touch. I'm sure Microsoft would be very happy if they had direct control over a handful of hardware platforms that their OS would ever have to run on!

Reply to
Ed Chilada

An unprivileged user surely needs access to privileged services indirectly. So a bug in privileged code (device driver etc..), could easily be only triggered when an unprivileged user does something specific.

Reply to
Ed Chilada

Take a look at Windows XP Embedded, specifically headless systems.

Reply to
Ed Chilada

Reply to
Ed Chilada

Aye, pretty bad show from Microsoft for sneaking out a new OS and not giving companies oohh, at least 12 months to make sure their stuff works on it...

As it happens, I'm using Vista over NTL. It works fine - the problem is not with the OS or even the service, it's the install disc which needs fixing. I'd suggest you chuck the disc in the bin and just allow the Vista network wizard to do its thing.

Reply to
Ed Chilada

Total, utter, arrant bollocks. The sort of bullshit spouted by numpties who don't have a clue.

So far Apple have had their OS run on Motorola, IBM and Intel processors both RISC and CISC, with a vast range of ancialliary electronics for each system. Microsoft struggle to keep their OS running on one platform, badly. Their PowerPC attempts brought tears of mirth to my eyes.

And just as MS launches a non-functioning Vista (late) which apes OSX Tiger (badly), Apple release Leopard and leave MS with egg on their face again.

Reply to
Stephen Firth

Doesn't stop Apple charging double what PC components sell for - or thereabouts - one reason Apple have done so well - extorting their customers.

Reply to
tester

I dunno - I'm looking for a decent, small laptop (12-13 inch screen) and the apple macbooks are looking pretty competitive. I can then get a decent HE discount on the already good price so I must admit I'm tempted.

Only thing that stops me is the fact that the touchpad only has one button and a copy of windows to run on the thing is still quite expensive (it's for my wife so has to be windows as she needs to run various school apps on it - and windows with no right click? hmmm).

Darren

Reply to
dmc

Have I missed something here? Which platform does Windows run on other than X86? I thought NT4.0 was the last Windows to work on more than one.

Certainly, there are different manufacturers' motherboards, drives, etc. But does Microsoft work tirelessly to ensure that Windows works on everyone's hardware? If so, it seems to have some work left to do with Vista.

Reply to
Joe

This is an irrelevant argument.

Either one can pay X for something that works properly or X/2 for something that doesn't.

It's a simple enough choice. If I spend X/2 to buy something and then spend considerable time making that work, my outlay exceeds X and the argument for even considering X/2 in the first place, pointless.

Reply to
Andy Hall

Also a complete load of bollocks, but it's nice to see the ignorant having the right to stand up and declare their stupidity on Usenet.

Reply to
Stephen Firth

Compared to the PC equivalent the apple laptops look particularly good value. I've just bought the most disgustingly expensive Apple laptop available - a 17" 2.33 GHz 2Mb/160Gb thingy. It was *cheaper* than the equivalent Novatech built unit at £1500.

The 12 in Macbooks are cheaper, faster and better specced than the end of line Philips 12" notebooks being touted as "good value" at present.

If you get Parallels, you can migrate your PC version of Windows to the Mac. There's a free to download application for Windows that packs your current licensed copy of Windows into a disk image that can be booted on the Mac. Cost of Parallels £39 and it lets you run Windows apps inside a Window (or fullscreen) on the Mac. Lord knows why the Windowsistas get so hung up on two button mice, but if you want one, just plug it in. OTOH if you want to use right click from the trackpad it is ctrl-shift-click.

FWIW, I can't get over how fast this things is. I have a DivX movie playing in Quicktime at present and Windows XP running in a Window and both are running faster than on my old (2 years old) Windows laptop.

Reply to
Stephen Firth

For the most part, Microsoft requires the hardware manufacturers to make their hardware work with windows. Microsoft holds an annual WinHEC conference, where it tells the hardware manufacturers what it will and will not support in the future, and they learn how they will have to change their designs to work with future versions of windows -- it's this conference which substantially shapes PC design. As someone who was involved in bringing up a non-Windows OS on PC hardware, attending WinHEC is very important to know what you are going to have to support in order to be able to boot and fully utilise future PC designs, as they're all manufactured for Windows, and only ever tested by checking if Windows will boot.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Oh go away troll - things may have changed for the better, but for ten years or more until recently MAC hardware was twice the cost of PC hardware - and you need to spend £10,000 / yr to keep someone Apple qualified to be able to order apple spares in a corporate environment

- yes, each year you need to pay this as we do.

Funny how millions of end users the world over cope with MS windows, and how most large businesses run excusively on MS desktops and do so very well - can't work out how that happens if MS is so shit and Apple so fantastic.

Reply to
tester

You wouldn't know a troll if one popped out from under his bridge and sandbagged you.

What utter s**te.

Reply to
Stephen Firth

Did you ever read the story about the king's suit of clothes?

Reply to
Andy Hall

Why don't you take this to a more appropriate group? Other than telling us how much money you've got to throw around, and how posh you think you are, it really doesn't serve much purpose.

Reply to
Stuart Noble

THe thread wasn't started by me, so the fact that it's here at all is, someone elses responsibility I'm afraid. As to the rest of your rant, it's yet more bollocks and it says far more about you than it does about me, since I haven't said or implied any of the things that seem to have got your goat.

Reply to
Stephen Firth

It's true - for supporting San networking infrastructures and installations - company pays per person per year. Still, enough's enough.

Reply to
tester