OT Windows maintenance phish?

Several times, recently, I have had a telephone caller using poor English trying to persuade me to go through a 10 minute series of tests on my home computer.

He purports to represent the Windows maintenance team and have got my phone number from Microsoft! The lure is that my m/c may have been infected with something nasty.

I assume this is some sort of phishing scam but am I alone or is this a common event? Presumably my service provider would be involved if this m/c had been infected?

Also, his last call has not disconnected or our phone line is coincidentally out of order!

regards

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Bet these tests involve you looking at the event viewer and seeing lots of error messages.

You are not alone my M-I-L received this 'phone call and she doesn't even have a computer. There are lots of reports of this type of scam. it has even made the computer press.

soup

No, you're very much not alone. We've had six of these calls recently (we're registered with TPS but it does no good). It is a scam - from what I've read it seems that if you fall for it, they get you to accept a download that gives them remote access (bad enough on its own), they then say that they've cleaned your machine and they charge your credit card to the tune of abouit £150.

I just keep telling them that I don't have a computer but it's not stopped them yet.

Reply to
Pete Zahut

In my case I'd be asking "What is Microsoft, do they make ice-cream?" and "What is Windows and why would I be wanting to run that on my Macintosh?".

And more particularly, what is a virus, never heard of that before either.

Reply to
Tim Streater

This is my 4th. call.

Thanks.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

In message , Tim Streater writes

that I don't have a computer but it's not

Reporting a BT line fault using a mobile is painful. Their automated system doesn't seem able to read the key tones:-(

regards

Reply to
Tim Lamb

That the one!

Thanks.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

BT seem to have brought in an "all new and improved" automatic fault reporting thingy, pity it can't cope with ISDN lines as I discoverd this afternoon... At least the web version quickly tells you in can't cope, the dialup version takes a couple of minuets to decide it can't. Ended up having to speak (shock horror!) to some one and even they took nearly an hour to run the line test to confirm it's an external cable fault.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

It is possible BT 'Chose to Refuse' may be your (expensive) friend.

Obviously Microsoft have better things to do with their time than cold calling. Although Oracle.......

Reply to
David WE Roberts

it won't - they're "indians" working through the perms and combs probly with autodiallers.

Nearly got my dad a couple of months ago, they get a sniff and they keep coming back until you tell em to do one/ask too many questions - sneaky scumbags...

Jim K

Reply to
Jim K

We get similar, except they call at the door and ask if we want our windows 'cleaning'. However, they only ask for £3.

Occasionally people come to the door and suggest our 'Drive' could do with replacing, but we've turned them down so far.

Reply to
OG

It's not this fella is it??:

's been here as well, tells me he won the TT races and the grand national

Reply to
Phil L

Happiness is truecall shaped. ;-)

connection. Just a very satisfied customer.

Tim

Reply to
Tim

It is a very common scam.

If they haven't cleared the line try pressing your recall button, this will give you a new (stuttered) dial tone. Hang up. Phone may ring again, if it does ignore it and the original call will be force released.

Alternatively just hang up, but don't lift the receiver again for 10 minutes this will also force release the incoming call. If you do lift the receiver the timer gets reset and they can continue to occupy your line.

Peter

Reply to
Peter Andrews

The number of viruses affecting windows is now in 6 figures, yet I've never heard of MS cold calling anyone about it.

NT

Reply to
Tabby

In message , Peter Andrews writes

Tried both of those and plugging a phone directly to the incomer. Nothing.

BT claim to have tested the line and found nothing wrong. Engineer calling Wednesday.

Just coincidence I guess.

regards

Reply to
Tim Lamb

I've never had one in 10+ years. There are a lot of stupid people and a lot of scrae mongering.

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

Are you running any anti-virus software? And can you define what it is about the stupid people you refer to that makes them (in this context) stupid?

Reply to
Tim Streater

No.

Allowing their PCs to be infected from dodgy downloads and obvious phishing e-mails.

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q