OT - Windows Godmode

Useful and simple hack for most versions of Windows.

Windows 8, Windows 7, Server 2008, and flavors of Windows Vista provide an unpublished ability to create a control panel called GodMode that allows you to have easy access to almost all administrative tasks that you would like to use in Windows. This new window is called GodMode because it puts all aspects of the management of Windows at your fingertips in one location. This allows you to quickly configure Windows settings or hardware from one screen.

Jonno

Or, just open a new Explorer window (Windows-E), click in the address bar, and type GodMode and Enter.

Reply to
Etaoin Shrdlu

Doesn't work for me. It brings up my browser and searches the internet for it!

Reply to
Roger Mills

Odd, but not entirely surprising. Maybe it depends on the edition? I have Win 7 Ultimate. Or maybe you have some search addin (Google toolbar, etc.) installed? Or an option ticked somewere that I don't?

Reply to
Etaoin Shrdlu

Etaoin Shrdlu wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@eclipse.net.uk:

Are you going into Windows Explorer - not Internet Explorer!

Reply to
DerbyBorn

Roger Mills scribbled

Ditto.

Reply to
Jonno

And me. But create new folder / rename to "GodMode.{ED7BA470-8E54-465E-825C-99712043E01C}" works.

Reply to
Reentrant

Ditto here, on two different windows 7 install, which makes me suspect it's the default behaviour.

The above is what the OP's link says to do.

Reply to
Chris French

It seems to work via Explorer once you've set it up as per OP's post, but not until. A useful alternative to Control Panel.

Reply to
Chris Hogg

And - as ever 'twas - ditto on XP for anyone else who is lingering on.

Reply to
Robin

I most certainly am. And the browser it's then opening is my default browser (Firefox) not IE!

Reply to
Roger Mills