OT Windows 10 'features' now in Win 7 & 8

Some here may find this to be of interest:

Windows 10?s warm reception has been sullied by concerns over data collection, usage tracking and spying, which is enabled in the new operating system by default. In fact, many people have avoided updating to Windows 10 solely due to concerns surrounding these issues.

We told you how you can opt out of much of these data-collecting features, and we also pointed you to six free tools that will help stop other Windows

10 functions that may compromise your data.

But as it turns out, Windows 10 isn?t the only Microsoft operating system collecting your data without your knowledge.

More here:

Richard

The Natural Philosopher

8.1 collects data somewhere,I had a laptop stolen and when I replaced it with another one and filled out the crap it wants before it deigns to let you use your own property, It booted with the same layout and stuff as the old one without me doing anything.
Reply to
F Murtz

That's nice :( Did it have your saved passwords too?

Reply to
Richard

Yes, its an option you can turn on or off, its just like android and apple. Very useful it is.

Crome also saves stuff to the web if you let it and your favourites, etc. are synchronized across machines because of this.

M$ is playing catchup with others in this respect. Don't some linux distributions also sync across machines?

Reply to
dennis

Like all of these things, pros and cons. They will want to see what the take up is and who is using what. Trouble is with their track record for making security holes its not going to be long before the nasties see how they work and exploit them for other purposes. Luckily on the older systems you can turn updates off and I have. Brian

Reply to
Brian-Gaff

So you are worried about possible future holes but aren't closing the known ones?

Reply to
dennis