OT windas XP m/c updated self now won;t boot into windows.... hellup '<(

Brilliant piece of kit. No self respecting geek should be without.

Reply to
Jethro_uk

I have one of these;

I use it to back up onto "removeable" hard drives. (IOW, standard hard drives which I plug into the docking station)

Reply to
Huge

I usually disagree completely with the "Linux is better" crowd. But this time he's right.

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ

Linux is better at some things: this is one of them.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Indeed. Even I might be tempted to use Linux for the data recovery (I notice that the AVG recovery disc actually does boot a version of Linux). But I wouldn't for a moment consider using Linux as my main everyday OS; Windows is far better for that IMHO (and I say that having used Unix extensively at my workplace).

Richard.

Richard Russell

I thought the same till about 2004.

3rd party apps apart Linux overtook windows for me about then.

Unix never has.

And that is largely down to the window managers and applications.

I suppose you could port them to unix, but its a faff.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

As you wish. Other opinions are available.

Reply to
Huge

+1
Reply to
newshound

Only if you use Unity, though?

Reply to
Adam Funk

just this eee with no optical or floppy drives...

I do have a couple of "even" older PCs - Win98 & win3.1 ...... ;>))

Win98 mc has usb & some sort of CD ROM (doubt a burner tho), but f*ck all else (does run tho)

it defo is..

good call ;>)

looks like the plan is to buy new box and take it from there -

thanks John and all other posters for prompt hand holding, be prepared for more "stupid" questions etc as the saga evolves

Cheers Jim K

Reply to
Jim K

Exactly. So use Mint Maya or cinammon instead. All the GOOD ubuntu things with unity conspicuously absent.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Very, at least that's what I found when I tried Mandrake for a few years.

Reply to
Bob H

Is that any different from what I'm getting by using GNOME Classic on Ubuntu? None of the "lens" stuff is running, & I'd expect to find the same result with GNOME 3 or XFCE.

Reply to
Adam Funk

How long ago was that?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

its actually slightly better than gnome classic. Gnome2 forked into Maya, and they have tidied it up a lot. It still has a few bugs . Occasionally my panels vanish or get corrupted, and certain arrangements of networking can cause total machine lockup. But not everyone wants tohard NFS mount 5 file systems from a machine in Telehouse over an unreliable ADSL link... :-)

But the point is that mint Maya IS a more developed gnome classic body on an Ubuntu chassis *straight out of the* box.

I actually quite liked windows XP, Maya is XP done reliably and neatly without the irritations.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

We will wait for the "WTF does Access Denied keep poping up for when I try to copy my files" message shortly then ;-)

Reply to
John Rumm

ah yes ;>))

I'm buying a USB to IDE HDD caddy/cable thing tomorrow and will see if I can extract anything from the old HDD to this EEE - if so have survived..... if not saga continues ;>(

Standby Cheers Jim K

Reply to
Jim K

this from

CCL Code: HDD3443

"CiT 3.5"" USB 2.0 SATA + IDE HDD Enclosure"

Any sagely warnings/advice of a prompt nature would be most welcome ;>)

Cheers Jim K

Reply to
Jim K

don't let the cat use it as a litter tray.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Yup that will work.

Slightly posher solution aimed at the "fit it in the box and forget" situation rather than the temporary deployment to rescue yet another dodgy hard drive that I tend to encounter...

Reply to
John Rumm