OT: Win XP start button

On my 3-year old XP system - which started as SP1 but has subsequently been updated to SP2 - I have always used Classic start menus etc., and the start button is rectangular, just like W98.

My wife has just bought a new computer which has XP SP2 pre-installed - to replace her W98 system - and I'm trying to set it up to look as much like W98 as I can. But when I select Classic menus, it behaves like W98 in way it cascades, but the button itself is still the XP curvy variety.

What am I doing wrong?

Reply to
Roger Mills

Click on the screen area(not an icon)with right mouse button and go to properties/appearence,goto windows and buttons drop down menu and select

*Windows classic style*.
Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

buying xp

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Two essential sites if you are using M$ XP

Mark

Reply to
Roger Mills

Brilliant - many thanks!

Reply to
Roger Mills

As opposed to what?

Reply to
Roger Mills

CP/M, probably

Owain

Reply to
Owain

On Fri, 21 Jul 2006 00:46:08 +0100, Roger Mills wrote (in article ):

Linux, FreeBSD - they are both free, are stable, give higher performance on give PC hardware and come with applications with equivalent functionality to MS stuff.

MAC OS X - not free, runs only on Apple hardware, commercially supported - offers same as above but also has versions of MS applications

Both are 1-2 orders of magnitude more stable, reliable and functional than XP and probably 2-3 orders of magnitude more so than than Win98

Reply to
Andy Hall

I agree with you but the Linux applications do not interpret Windows Applications in quite the same way if you are wanting to convert or receive Windows Application over the Internet.

I have stopped using it for this reason. The OS is OK its just the applications that have caused me probs.

Reply to
Bookworm

What do you mean interpret windows applications ?. Windows app code is totally different to Linux app code, you cant run win code on Linux!!.

DAve

Reply to
gort

Isis I or II

Reply to
Paul Herber

I think what they mean is that in reality you can't get a good match between (say) Word and (say) OpenOffice. Documents never really port totally successfully unless they are trivial.

Doesn't stop me from avoiding Windows like the plague. I have one Windows machine that is stoked up when I have no other option. But then I have been using UNIX for 30 years....!

Reply to
Bob Eager

I use MS Win and MS Office right now but am planning a long-term strategic move towards Linux. Almost tempted to get the beta of Office

2007 off a magazine cover and use it to send Office 07 files to everyone that insists on using .doc (etc) files.

Won't be my fault if the files are incompatible with their earlier version of Office will it, after all everyone uses the same version of Word.

30 years ago I was using an Imperial Model 7 typewriter, IIRC.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

We dealt with an external examiner at work who flatly refused to read or send anything but plain text files. He got his way, too! (but then we are a computing department)

Reply to
Bob Eager

Oh explain then

Dave

Reply to
gort

We are going to get an explaination soon from the poster called ., who believes its bullshit.

Dave

Reply to
gort

Win 2k. Plus a util to back up the registry.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

define your "you cant run win code on Linux!!" statement correctly in future.

Reply to
.