OT: wifi setup advice

Not at all. Doesnt have to be IP, and doesn't even have to link computers.

Routers as opposed to switches and bridges and hubs, make decisions based on a higher layer in the packet switching protocol than the raw layer at which their interfaces act.

I.e an ethernet hub makes no decisions..it broadcasts all traffic on all ports.

A switch builds a table of MAC level addresses and learns which port to send the packet down.

A bridge is similar to two switches connected by something else than an ethernet cable. It learns which mac adresses are where.

A router, on the other hand, makes decisions based on a higher level protocol. Typically IP, but not necessarily. It has routing tables that are either preset, or downloaded dynamically that are used to make those decisions. It does not 'learn'. It is 'told'.

A typical DSl 'router' conatins the equivalent of an IP router, an ATM half bridge, an ethernet port hub, or switch, and a DSL modem, plus a NAT and firewall, and possibly a wireless half bridge or hub as well.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I'm currently working in a mixed USonian/UK environment.

That described my current working conditions OK.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Don't most think of it as a combined modem, router and hub?

At least they're not using 'filming'. It rather annoys me when even pros use this for taping or other methods of recording.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Sadly not. A lot of people seem to be using router as a catchall term for anything with flashing lights on that's network related.

How are you on "dialling" phones? :o)

(And my wife still insists on "taping" things on the PVR....)

Reply to
Huge

Same way as we pronounce the woodworking version.... (but with an American accent!)

Reply to
John Rumm

Unless it has RIP or BGP or Multicast capabilities etc. ;-)

Yup, you can see why Jo Public goes for "router" as a catch all!

Reply to
John Rumm

Those are the protocols by which it is TOLD ;-)

RIP isn't a process of learning, its a way of *telling* other routers what netowork routes you HAVE BEEN PROGRAMED with. Ghastly protocol.

OSPF is a bit better, and owrks well, but again you have to set it up.

BGP? well thats again no voyage of discovery either. You tell the world what networks you route, and they dump teh worlds routing tables in your lap.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher