OT: WiFi interference

Reject as not fit for purpose under the sale of goods act. A few pence on components probably stripped out of the original design to cut costs would cure it. Lack of screening (ali foil would do it.) or pin 1 problem (google it).

Does a mobile phone make it rattle?

It is not difficult to make equipment that is not susceptible to a few milliwatts of RF. If the broadcasters had the same problem it would be even more noticable, Tens of kilowatts of RF and milliwatts of audio can be kept separated enough to satisfy HI-FI buffs.

Reply to
<me9

I agree that its a result of poor design of the device. However it seems unlikely that you will get the maker to agree with that diagnosis, and highly unlikely they are about to refund you and redesign their product range.

Your best claim (if you have not left it too long) would be with the retailer you bought it from - especially if you are sapping for something similar but different. Many HiFi shops will take back stuff that is working to spec but just does not perform as desired in your home.

Reply to
John Rumm

Does the sound persist if you short out the phono input at the amplifier end. If so then it is probably due to some semiconductor junction inside the amplifier rectifying the WiFi ethernet traffic resulting in pulses that you can hear. Not even the worst purveyors of magic audiophool snake oil make audio amps with GHz bandwidth!

You could also try wrapping it in an earthed sheet of aluminium foil to see if the fault is the most basic possible of failure to screen some sensitive component and having an unscreened cable run that happens to be a good antenna for WiFi frequencies. Plastic cases have a lot to answer for!

I still think your best bet is move the WiFi a bit further away.

Reply to
Martin Brown

Doesn't really need to have GHz bandwidth the abrupt changes at the start/end of each burst can cause problems. It could be a particularly "dirty" WiFi transmitter. Does the OP have another WiFi device they could try instead? Possibly try another wall wart for the existing WiFi box, maybe that is producing lots of crap that it is injecting onto the mains wiring. There has been no mention of Home Plug...

Does a mobile phone give the sub grief when nearby, when sending a text or during a call?

If a phone gives it trouble reject it, just maybe for a replacement in case this sample is faulty but make it *very* clear to the retailer that you *will* want a refund if the replacement behaves in a similar manner.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Competent designers will limit that to the audio band;!..

Yes, preferably as far as the shop you bought it from as unfit for use;!...

Reply to
tony sayer

Very much doubt that Dave..

Home plug is a somewhat differing aspect. Thats where a unit is actually a transmitter and is radiating over the RF bands causing grief which Ofcom are only just beginning to recognise...

Which it will do .. betcha as much as yer likes!..

Reply to
tony sayer

Martin Brown :

I don't have the equipment on hand to do that.

Or that!

That would be unsightly. All the equipment is in an alcove with no visible wires, unless you peer behind the equipment.

Reply to
Mike Barnes

No.

I don't have one handy.

True.

Yes, even in the absence of any text or call.

From my conversation with the manufacturer it sounds as if the fault is generic - not that they recognise it as a fault.

Reply to
Mike Barnes

Wot? Not even a straightened paper clip, old staple or any other bit of gash wire, this is a DIY group ... B-)

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Reject the unit as "faulty" for a full refund from who ever you bought it from. There is only so much faffing about one can put up with.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

In article , Mike Barnes scribeth thus

Well it is a fault its not working for you as it should do, its not EMC complaint and I bet if its got a CE sticker on its just that a worthless meaningless bit of paper.

I'd go back them the retailer, and lay into them about it as not fit for purpose and lay it on that it responds to nearby phones and lights being switched on and off as well etc etc....

FWIW I've got an Audiolab 8000A amp here for the PC, some years olde but works very well but doesn't respond to a mobile phone on the go placed on it let alone near it.

It was designed as it should be!...

Reply to
tony sayer

tony sayer :

Good news: The manufacturer has agreed to take it back via the retailer and issue a full refund. It seems they regard the problem as unfixable.

Thanks to all who responded.

Reply to
Mike Barnes

Pleased to hear it now get something decent in and let us know how you get on if you will:)..

Reply to
tony sayer