OT: Why it is better to pretend you know nothing about computers

It's not just the OS but the attitude of some Windows developers that annoys me. I still come across applications that don't work if not run as an administrator, applications that write data to the program files directory and applications that hard-code paths to folders such as "My Documents" so that they don't work properly if you have changed the default locations. What's worse is their attitude that it's /your/ fault and refuse to fix their bugs.

Reply to
Mark

Well don't get me started on Apple.

Apple used to be nice and archaic, and have upper case filenames only.

Then they went BSD and decided that they would allow case sensitive filenames. Unlike windows, where case is preserved, but is not significant..(amusing when you created e.g. Myfile.jpg and myfile.jpg on the Unix server, and try and access them..) OS-X went the whole Unix hog.

However, it is not possible to install Adobe creative suite on a filesystem that is case sensitive. In their infinite stupidity, the developers refer to the system files in random case, so it creates files that other parts of the same suite can't read.

I am not sure, but I think this persists to this day as a bug.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Pardon? I was using CMS in '72, a good few years before I heard of micro-processors. PC-DOS was written by IBM.

Reply to
Bob Martin

No, it wasn't.

PC-DOS was a sort of crude port of CP/M to an 8086 platform done IIRC by a Swede. Oh. No. By Tim Paterson

had been offered to Bill Gates, and when IBM came calling, he struck a deal quickly, and it became PC-DOS: IBM's OEM badged version of MSDOS,

CP/M itself harks back to INTELS development rigs for the 8080

"Gary Kildall originally developed CP/M during 1973-74, as an operating system to run on an Intel Intellec-8 development system, equipped with an Shugart Associates 8-inch floppy disk drive interfaced via a custom floppy disk controller. It was written in Kildall's own PL/M (Programming Language for Microcomputers). Various aspects of CP/M were influenced by the TOPS-10 operating system of the DECsystem-10 mainframe computer, which Kildall had used as a development environment.[4][5]"

IIRC the designation of floppy drives as A: and B: was always part of Intel's way of regarding things. Leastways the 8086 ICDUs that I used were similarly specified, and it was possible to see large hints of CP/M in their way of working..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I missed that - I guess it must have been sometime before OS4?

Only if you choose to. The default format for an HFS drive (eg the one that OSX gives you when you install, or when you create a new partition) is case preserving, but case insensitive.

In order to get a case sensitive filesystem you have to manually choose at format time, using Disk Utility. To install OSX on such a partition you have to boot off the install DVD, jump out of the installer, reformat the partition case sensitive, then start the installer again. In which case you either know what you're doing, or deserve everything you get!

CS4 is still broken in this respect (amongst many others), yes.

Cheers - Jaimie

Reply to
Jaimie Vandenbergh

And appropriately enough he called it QDOS for Quick 'n' Dirty Operating System ;-)

Reply to
John Rumm

Indeed. I chose to as it seemed sane..

I THIOUGHT I kew what I was doing. Nowhere were any dire warnings like 'CS4 wont install if you do this' portrayed..

there you go. All software is crap, but at least with open source, its fixable.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

These are some of the programmers who need a smack as I mentioned in a previous post.

Reply to
Tim Streater

The whole notion of the case of a filename being important is a nonsense anyway, as the man on the Clapham omnibus will tell you.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Then you *are* a loony and I claim my £5.

Well that'll learn you eh?

Not by the average Joe.

Reply to
Tim Streater

So edit the binaries to make the naming consistent.

Reply to
Rob Morley

It beats me because you are replying to the thread with someone else who did say what I replied to. Now you want to change the scenario, that's fine.

So don't open it with word then. Word sets exclusive locks because its an editor.

In your opinion. Most people don't even think about it or do what I do and save as which doesn't require you to delete the other copy as one wasn't created when you just open the attachment from within the mail program. Saving the attachment somewhere, then opening it in word and then deciding to move it is a lot of extra steps when you can just open it decide you want to save it and saving it where you want to.

No it was Bob, to whom I replied.

Reply to
dennis

That's nothing to do with windows, they do that on all OSes. Don't use their programs.

Reply to
dennis

No, we're going back to the scenario that started this sub-thread. Keep up.

Ah right, I'll use Excel instead then.

This doesn't follow at all. I sometimes find it convenient when editing source code to use two editors at once because they have non-overlapping feature sets. Works with no problems. So if I open a file in Word I don't expect to then be unable to move/rename it.

Any decent mailer will detach attachments as they come in, while still retaining links to them from within the mailer. I use such and that way I don't have gigabytes of mail data. It also makes it a lot easier to spring-clean old unwanted attachments from time to time.

That gives you a second copy, as I said.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Sorry, my brain had fried.

I would take issue with 'PC DOS was written by IBM'. It was a bought-in version of MS-DOS, originally. Some minor changes (principally putting COMMAND.COM at the top of free memory instead of at the bottom, or vice versa. They changed a few of the external commands a bit, but basically it was the same code.

(I wrote an early book on PC-DOS, with information from IBM).

Later on, they diverged (from 5.0 onwards). IBM did a lot of tuning (I know the guy who did it), and 7.0 went really fast and was very memory efficient.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Indeed. And that in turn was developed alongside OS/8, the one I mentioned. Arguable which of those came first.

Reply to
Bob Eager

In article , Tim Streater scribeth thus

Must be a lot of low expectation users out there then, in his opinion of course!..

Reply to
tony sayer

What's a "floppy drive"?

Reply to
Steve Firth

The button seems to be labelled "start/stop" on mine. On other cars the ignition was labelled as off, acc(essories), run/ign, start.

Are you trying to say that Windows users never read what is in front of them?

Reply to
Steve Firth

In article , Tim Streater scribeth thus

So too much trouble to save it and then move it?. How else would you do it?..

And why would you want to?..

Reply to
tony sayer