OT: Why it is better to pretend you know nothing about computers

May appeal to those who are asked to fix relative's computers:

also liked "How a web design goes straight to hell" and "why I believe that printers were sent from hell to make us miserable"

(I'm not connected in any way to the author, just found it very funny).

Reply to
Mark

That's so accurate. :)

Reply to
Niel Humphreys

And once you do fix their computer, every time there's a problem in the future, it's your fault. "You know when you fixed my computer? well ever since it's ... could you have another look please?"

Reply to
pete

(\__/) M. (='.'=)

Looks like you're connected to Capt. Miffles tho'

Reply to
JTM

Not for nothing do I often wear a sweatshirt bearing the legend, "Sorry, I'm not here to fix your computer." Loads of acquaintances ask me about their various computer problems just because I happen to work with the things. I make a point never to get involved.

Reply to
A.Clews

Good move! They also get terribly offended if you so much as suggest that while you're working fixing their PC, they could be working: doing your washing up, or mowing your lawn or washing your car.

Reply to
pete

LOL!

Reply to
Mark

I hadn't thought of doing that, but it's a good point. One of my pals was a self-employed car mechanic, but I never asked him to fix my car for free.

Reply to
A.Clews

A self-employed car mechanic is the only person who's ever paid me for that kind of ad-hoc computer work. That's probably not a coincidence.

Pete

Reply to
Pete Verdon

How about if the computer owner leaves the computer to you in his will, plus enough money to buy 50 more? Would you help him then?

Reply to
Matty F

One has to take a reality check and consider just how likely that is to happen. I would say "probably not at all", so it kind of renders the question irrelevant.

Reply to
A.Clews

I should qualify my earlier remarks and say that said pal of mine (now sadly no longer with us) was pretty generous with free advice though, and did good quality work on my car and charged less than the going rate, and was generous with drinks etc whenever I helped him with his computer, so I didn't begrudge helping him with his occasional IT problems.

Reply to
A.Clews

It can work, I've received several bottles, masses of runner beans and had my hedge cut . . .

Reply to
Albert Ross

I would say that it's almost certain:)

Reply to
Matty F

Reply to
Adrian C

It was the same with cars. Back in the seventies when I first started driving I decided to service the car myself. After buying and studying the Haynes manuals, asking long-suffering local mechanics, and steadily acquiring a toolkit, I jumped in. A Mini 1000 was a doddle to work on, even for me a newbie. The old hands here will tell you that working in the Mini engine compartment teaches you great dexterity as you work with your fingertips not your hands. Anyway I digress, as the word got around friends, I was "volunteered" into servicing their cars. "i don't have the tools like you have" (they grew on trees of course) "you know what you are doing" (hold on, I taught myself, why can't you) "it'll not take you long to do this favour for me". Pretty soon all of my Saturdays were being lost to "friends". Of course suggesting some kind of payment was akin to asking to screw their wife/girlfriend and mother all at the same time.

My experience taught me to become quite hard over such things. The phrase "it'll cost you" is a good way to put the chancers off. The fact is in this day and age any decent person WILL pay for your time and expertise - friend or no friend. Don't be afraid to lose these people too, they are the sort who feel the world owes them a living and will pay for nothing. Fuck 'em. They aren't friewnds, they are parasitical leeches.

Reply to
nemo

Quite.

Once a storeman had a flat tyre. Trying to be helpful I lent him my pump to reinflate it, told him which tyre services we used and to mention my name to get a company discount.

Little sod stole the pump.

SOP for Surrey and no doubt many other places, being in any way pleasant or helpful is seen as weakness which deserves to be exploited.

The opposite end of the same thing is that the biggest main dealers are far and away the biggest thieves. They deserve one another.

Fortunately we're a bit more civilised around these parts. I don't mind doing someone a favour because even if they don't return it directly to me they'll return it to someone else and it'll get back to me in due course.

If it's more than just the occasional favour, yes I *will* charge.

Reply to
Albert Ross

It's introducing a charge that stopped them asking me ;-) There is a complicating factor in that there is now someone with a very similar name to me who advertises computer maintenance services. There's been a few people who think it is me.

But it's probably safer not to admit you know anything ;-) I can now do this more easily by saying I know nothing about Vista or Win7 (which is almost true).

Reply to
Mark

Ditto, but I suspect I'll have to bite the Win7 bullet within a few months ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

Actually for an olde septic like meself its here on two machines, and I must say its rather good .. much much better than that Vista virus;!...

Reply to
tony sayer