OT: Why do telephone exchanges have such big chimneys?

A lot of small rural exchanges seem to be sporting shiny new stainless steel chimneys these days. About 10" in diameter and they *look* like a large gas flue. Could be ventilation I suppose but it looks like a gas cowl on top.

Here's one I saw the other day.

I've tried UK.telecom but no one seemed to know for sure over there.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Could be air conditioning for new broadband equipment.

Rusty

Reply to
therustyone

Could be I suppose but is it typical of an air-con outlet? Why put it out the roof rather than a wall or window?

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Mains gas generator for back-up power?

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

Does it look like a generator exhaust to you?? 10" across?

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Maybe its both. A mahusive generator able to put enough power down the wires that ac is also needed. :)

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

I would expect air-con to have an external heat exchanger.

Whatever it is, being in the roof will make it less vulnerable to vandalism.

Reply to
Nightjar

Just looks like an exhaust vent to let the heat out, may have a fan in it.

Reply to
F Murtz

Could it be that there are emergency generators being installed to preserve emergency communications when the power cuts happen? Brian

Reply to
Brian-Gaff

That would be some generator that needs a 10 inch exhaust Brian! I'm talking about small rural exchanges here, not big buildings.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

They're for emergency replacement pole storage, particularly useful in windy rural locations. By storing the poles vertically they can be kept the right way up, which saves confusion and speeds up the replacement.

Cheers

Reply to
Syd Rumpo

Indeed. The size looks similat to those coming out of the "secret" bit of Wood Norton. Do BT know something we don't?

Reply to
charles

You should clarify that these are for vertical poles only, horizontal poles must never be store this way to avoid them becoming wrongly identified as vertical poles...

Mike

Reply to
Muddymike

2.png?dl=0

I heard they were branching out into the cremation business.

Andy

Reply to
Andy Bennett