OT:who is Dribble?

Actually those of us who have been here a long time know who Dribble is, or at least a genuine name he goes by - John Burns-Curtis.

I have come across Dribble's real name several times in the past.

Firstly when he e-mailed me under that name (bit of a give-away that) shortly after he joined the ng back (IIRC) about the year 2000.

Secondly when he mentioned the book Who Owns Britain. My scathing comments about a review he wrote under his own (or what I presume to be his own) name actually prompted him to complain to my ISP of the time. Didn't do him any good of course. Abuse on the internet is par for the course unlike abuse of the internet.

As it is topical I thought I would bring up a small part of that review:

"The ec With 2 ft thick walls you'll need some very thick doors and at least two combi boilers for the hot water. The address given was Dampfoot, Essex.

This is grotesque even for Dribble so it could be a parody by someone else at Dribble's expense.

Fourthly he was posting for a time under his own name on a self build forum in the early 2000's but I wasn't aware of that until I tried to track down the second and third instances above.

Reply to
Roger Chapman

Ah the Burns Curtises. That well known 'traveller' family.

There is no Dampfoot in Essex. Has to be a parody ;-)

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Wrong as usual Roger. What a saddo. Roger, we need hard nosed economic experience, from a man with proven track record and that is GORDON BROWN!

Stop telling yourself lies and believing them.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

I guess I'm being a bit thick here. What is grotesque about the statement?

JW (in Essex - but not Dampfoot! :-) )

Reply to
John Whitworth

You are in Essex as well. It all fits!! You poor bastard!

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

snip

Grotesque may not be quite the right word but I couldn't think of another that fitted better.

The notion of thick doors was simplistic. Airlock type annexes would do the job so much better but it was the two combis bit. Dribble used to go on and on (and on) about the alleged benefits of two combis over a stored hot water system having comprehensively lost the argument with respect to just one combi.

Dampfoot is an unlikely name for a house or even a hamlet but there are some very strange names out there with some very strange people living in them so we can't entirely discount the possibility that Dribble was at the time resident in Essex in a house (or caravan) named Dampfoot, with or without his Aston Martin kit car.

Reply to
Roger Chapman

From the county that already gave us the "River Blackwater", then tries to sell us salt made out of it? I've been to Dampfoot in Essex. They had changed the signs and called it something else, but you could tell by the width of their shoes. It's just down the road from Innsmouth.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember Roger Chapman saying something like:

Jesus H. Kerist, the tosser couldn't have been more wrong if he'd tried. There has been no 'cheap' land here for at least 10 years. Shortly after I came here (sixteen years ago) land prices started to rise and that was at the bottom of the curve - in the last decade plot prices shot up damn near exponentially at times.

The land boom here was fuelled by greedy bankers lending incautious amounts of money (7xjoint salary, 40 and 50 year mortages at the end), greedy estate agents over-pricing houses, greedy sellers over-pricing houses, greedy buy-to-letters, and the hapless few who simply wanted a house to live in before prices left them in the dust.

Shockingly, more than 30% of the Irish tax take came from the housing industry - just unsustainable in the long term, but no, every bugger and his dog thought it was grand - sure, we're the Celtic Tiger and we'll have a 'soft landing'.

Well, bollocks - what a load of pish that was. It was all a bubble, built on avarice.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Next, I suppose you will call us all "bigoted".

See where that gets you! ;-)

Reply to
Bruce

You misunderstand - it's a consequence of living with his own plumbing...

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Essex, poor? No mate - you're thinking of somewhere else! :-) Ah - my mistake - that was a poor attempt at trolling, I guess?

Reply to
John Whitworth

Gonna killfile Drivel, before my responses to him pee everyone off! ;-)

JW

Reply to
John Whitworth

Reply to
Roger Chapman

Yup. Given a good guide is to do the exact opposite of any of dribble's recommendations, you could be right.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Dampfoot is what you get after Drivel's attempts at plumbing

The first instance I remember of a drivel post was a very basic physics question which IIRC Cynic replied to

Reply to
geoff

Or we had our professional heating engineer chip in with:

"Can anyone recommend the best flux to use on copper pipes. I was told that the yellow containers in B&Q and Homesbase (I think it is called powerflux or something similar) are good. The flux is white and creamy in texture. Also what is the best compound to put on the olives on copper pipe compression fittings. "

Reply to
John Rumm

John Rumm wibbled on Monday 03 May 2010 22:53

Think he confused that with his "farmers" ointment...

Chewing gum. Thought everyone knew that! ;->

Reply to
Tim Watts

Housing/land is infinitely cheaper than in the UK.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

That is so.

Reply to