OT: Whither "toby"?

Does anyone know why (in Scotland at least) a water c*ck (or its cover) in the street is known as a "toby"?

Do different regions have different names for it (besides stopcock)?

Just curious.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

At a guess from toby jug...

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

gives derivation as "Shelta word 'tobar' meaning road" (whatever Shelta is).

I've never heard it called anything other than stopcock - and that's in both Yorkshire and Buckinghamshire/Berkshire - the two areas of the country where I've lived.

Reply to
NY

Cheers

Reply to
Syd Rumpo

3 minutes Internet research reveals that it is in common and official use in Scotland (and perhaps NZ) but reveals no convincing etymology. A possiblility is an old Irish word for road.

Cross-posted to ukra as we have a significant and knowledgeable Scottish contingent.

Reply to
Roger Hayter

Never heard it called that in the NE of Scotland.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I know it as a "toby" and I'm in Edinburgh. I'm guessing that it's because it's the same shape as a toby-jug hat as is suggested.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Howie

Indeed, we users of uk.r.a are all linguistic pundits - so I have to ask whether the OP really means "whither"? I would have thought that "wherefore" would be more appropriate.

Reply to
Ian Jackson

"Whence". From where.

Another Dave

Reply to
Another Dave

LOL "knowledgeable". You crack me up you do, Rog.

Reply to
Stephen Thomas Cole

It's stopcock in the superior Lancashire.

Reply to
Mr Pounder Esquire

It's 'toby' in Sutherland.

Reply to
S Viemeister

It's from jockish rhyming slang: Tobermory = Tory = an Englishman who likes to play hide the sausage, c*ck.

Reply to
Stephen Thomas Troll

Yes, "whence" also fits.

Reply to
Ian Jackson

In message , NY writes

I'm from upstate Northumberland, and it's always been a stopcock to me.

Reply to
Ian Jackson

What is it in the inferior Lancashire?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

You mean the black part?

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

En el artículo , Another Dave escribió:

"Wherefore" means "why", so it works in this context too: "why is it called a toby?"

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

it's in the road ...or pavement

Reply to
Jim GM4DHJ ...

Shelta /???lt?/[3] is a language spoken by Irish Travel lers, particularly in Ireland and the United Kingdom. In the earliest but undocumented period linguists surmise that the Trave ller community was Irish-speaking until a period of widespread bilingualism in Irish and Hiberno-English (or Scots in Scotland) set in, leading to cre olisation (possibly with a trilingual stage) [wikipedia:Shelta]

And Irish were involved in road construction.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog