OT - Which ?

Makes no difference - you're still wrong. A De Dion system is classified as independent too. Non independent means a rigid rear axle.

How would you define a system which was truly independent in your view to which an anti-roll bar was added? Which of course means most?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

The Spitfire had negative camber. The Herald positive at least when unladen - and body roll caused the loaded wheel to tuck under, as it were.

The snag was anything more sophisticated required an extra joint in the driveshafts. So more cost. Which of course they did in later models of the same basic design.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Yes, the important thing was that the diff was bolted to the chassis.

Reply to
Bob Eager

I am saying they dont ask. They choose who they ask which means the answers they get are not representitive. I have never been asked. I have been asked to register several times but never get selected to fill in the questionnaires. So, yes, I feel I get ignored.

No I am suggesting the results are from small samples, unrepresentitve samples and therefore the results are quite likely to be invalid and unreliable.

I am pretty sure they present a received agenda. I know facts they wont present because its not in line with what they want to present.

Exactly and it draws its samples and information from those subscribers who are unlikely to be representitive and so the data is unlikely to be representitive.

Reply to
sweetheart

Actually I did. It was very heavy. My OH was steering at the time and he told me to get out and push ( maybe I should have ditched him then before we were married?)

Reply to
sweetheart

Things must have changed. I remember filling in several forms about car ownership over a period of years. I can't see why they'd want to ignore any member given the more data they have on any one model, the more accurate it becomes.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

yes

Yes it was very very tall happy in the wet with cross-ply tyres but great fun, the experience gained at such low speed and young age has been an asset, It was actually quite good on dry road, the rear started to squeal long before it let go. and it would go round corners MUCH quicker then two of the cars you had at the time.

Yes but i used to travel up the M1 and back every weekend from Watford to Newport Pagnell absolutely flat out with the speedo needle past the oil warning light, this would be frowned upon along Clapham High st was the point of "unmercifully threshed" irrespective of the max speed of the Beetle or later Mway limit.

Ha Not in a Rover 12 But i have always like Riley's And no i would not have another Beetle now if you paid me but the early ones were far better then you give them credit for.

-
Reply to
Mark

Ah I did wonder about that snide use of the plural. I was refering to a particular magazine, Classic Cars (known as Thoroughbred and Classic Cars for part of its history) which you are happy to damn with absolutely no evidence to support your prejudices.

Reply to
Roger Chapman

I may not read it myself, but have read comments on the mistakes it makes from others.

However, given it seems to be the source of your knowledge, QED.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

IIRC they usually only want data on newish cars. Mine have always been too old to qualify ;-)

Reply to
Mark

That's an interesting point. I only did a quick flick through of the latest Which car report supplement and, IIRC, the league table of owner satisfaction was very different from the league table of reliability.

Reply to
Mark

I definitely prefer a little oversteer rather than understeer. Shame that most cars I've owned recently have been front wheel drive.

Reply to
Mark

Mine is brand new as of the beginning of March - but they still don't want to know!

Reply to
sweetheart

I have owned all the Minors - saloon, van, and two travellers. One traveller I put in a 1275 sprite engine and gearbox and Riley 1.5 front brakes. Non of these were tail happy, possibly because they were on radials.The souped up traveller had wide wheels as well. The van was ex GPO and once I got offered the mail from our local post office!

Robbie

Reply to
Roberts

Same here. Which is why I've only ever filled in a couple of them.

I did at one time keep all the old copies. It made interesting reading going back to the reviews of the car you now own. The reader survey part - what went wrong, what they liked and disliked, etc, proved pretty accurate. But then I've never owned a car they slated. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Yes. A few years ago Jaguar were up in arms about the members survey moving them down the list for reliability. But that same survey gave those members being very happy with their Jag and would recommend it to a friend. So as I keep on saying, you need to read the whole thing carefully, and not just the 'headline' bits.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

A mate with a Minor pickup used to carry a spare engine block in the back as ballast - all the time.

I used to drive a van as a job in the school holidays. I can assure you it was all too easy to loose the tail in the wet. That was before the days of radials - or at least them being the norm.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I have (A Vauxhall Cavalier). And they were right.

Reply to
Mark

Understeer on front wheel drive cars is easy to control. Oversteer takes more skill and practice and tends to end in a bad way.

Reply to
dennis

Indeed. Which is why it is essential for unskilled drivers. And also explains why all the best handling cars are not FWD.

Understeer and oversteer describe the handling balance of a car. Not necessarily what happens when they loose grip totally. Many of the older cars described here with RWD but crude rear suspension exhibit understeer initially, but quickly change to terminal oversteer.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)