OT: which 26" telly to buy?

There are good reasons not to provide line out..

Many broadcasts are in dolby and the external AMP probably has a better decoder for the digital out from the TV

The picture is probably coming from an external source over HDMI and you want the sound to go to the external AMP with the master audio decoder in it

You probably don't need any speakers or analogue sound out from the TV at all (or even a tuner). An AV AMP with HDMI switching is the obvious way to go.

Reply to
dennis

In article , John Stumbles writes

Watch out for the Ad sponsored 14 day Guide Plus programme guide on the Pannys, some are finding it intrusive and annoying. There is no option to revert to the regular 7 day guide and avoid the adverts as you can do on the similarly equipped Sony's.

See:

's for a PVR but I believe it's the same on the tellys.

Reply to
fred

I dunno what you mean by 'dolby' but all broadcasts are in compatible stereo as well. Anything else would be a nonsense.

No it's not for decent quality audio.

5.1 etc is a complete waste of time produced just for those who want ping pong 'effects'. *Good* stereo is far more satisfying.
Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

A decent AMP will do both, and do high definition uncompressed audio too.

Reply to
dennis

In article , Dave Plowman (News) writes

It's nice to hear that confirmed by someone in the know, I've felt as much for many a year and wouldn't have a multi (GT 2) speaker system in a gift.

Reply to
fred

If they were using passive splitters rather than a proper distribution amp he could be right.

Reply to
The Other Mike

Now I've found that out what the Panasonic EPG is they have definitely lost a sale. The best option seems to be a display device and a separate tuner / recorder box, designed by someone who has a clue. The Sony EPG's I have seen have been a pile of glutinous cack too.

Reply to
The Other Mike

Well yes there is, but if you don't get it then not for you, I agree. There are other sources of video than what is transmitted though.

Just fine, I'm not sure what you think would be done to a flat screen LCD to make it more or less "optimised".

Reply to
Steve Firth

Does that include HD master audio, it does exceed CDs in quality by a good margin.

Reply to
dennis

I just ordered this for the bedroom:

- purely on the strength of the reviews, particularly the good sound. The 3-year warranty helps too. I suspect image quality is pretty similar on most TVs this size.

"Foehn & Hirsch" is a made-up generic ebuyer brand-name but I have a few other things of theirs and they are fine.

Reply to
Reentrant

I've had two of these...

first failed under guarantee and was replaced with the second. That's now failed - out of warranty, sadly.

Reply to
Skipweasel

If you want to enter a discussion on this, you'd need to use terms other than 'better'.

Yes. Although with such a tiny screen (for family use) not that much point either.

There is a big difference in satisfactory viewing angles between such things. I'm surprised you've not noticed an LCD screen is very angle of view sensitive.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Anything exceeding 'CD quality' is simply wasted for the end user. But that's not to say all CDs are perfect.

My complaint with so called AV amps and speakers is they simply aren't as good as you'd use for decent stereo - not surprising if you consider the cost of doing it properly.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

It can be done well and I've heard such demonstrations. But not involving scattering a few small/cheap speakers driven by even worse amps around a room.

So in practice, spending the budget on a pair of decent speakers with good amps will give a far more satisfying result to an audiophile.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

In article , Dave Plowman (News) scribeth thus

Well no of course not Dave but for a TV they were very good, had Treble and Bass controls on they did and very impressive sets they were too had one for many years till it was replaced by a B&O in 96;)..

FWIW I did convert a 405 line set to 625 back in the Sixties and was impressed with the 625 line pix detail and the FM sound, 'tho further experiments with a hefty mains isolator tranny proved just how good the olde 405 line AM sound could be;).

I think thats where my interest in audio was formed around that time apart from a aunt who's hubby was an engineer at the BBC and had what "looked like" an EMI BTR2 in his living room with a single cabinet large speaker but they split soon after that..

Reply to
tony sayer

In article , Dave Plowman (News) scribeth thus

Agreed:)...

Reply to
tony sayer

In article , The Other Mike scribeth thus

Oi!, -Think- abaht what you have just written!.

Modern Freeview TV's?...

Reply to
tony sayer

A mains isolating transformer was a very expensive way to go about this - especially with half wave rectifiers.

Much cheaper to use an audio isolating transformer on a line output.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Indeed. When a Wireless Set was a lot of carefully blown bottles hand wound transformers, hand assembled and hand soldered into a steel chassis, and so on in a rather nice wooden cabinet, the cost of a decent magnet and the size of a decent cone, was simply 'in scale'..

Yo can shrink the electronics, but not the air molecules. It takes a large surface to shove them into some sort of decent sound. Or a damn great horn ..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Either work 100%, or pixellate..

My actual impressions is that the more expensive sets get Blu-Ray sources and are set up to perfection in the shop, whilst the cheaper ones are deliberately maladjusted to look 'cheap' and 'garish'

The key things I am looking for are viewing angle and speed of response to fast changing pictures. I am not so concerned about ultimate black, not indeed hue quality, as one gets used to almost anything. And watches in reasonably lit rooms ..

That plus a reasonably easy and customisable control system.

Sound is universally poor, but a cheap amp and a pair of reasonable speakers are not hard to find somewhere.

If only the sound output was controllable with the remote..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher