OT Where to park?

I can't any more either.

Though it does just say "Parent & Child" so as I'm a parent and

*anybody* else is a child (of some one) ...
Reply to
Dave Liquorice

blind,

outcome"

Not for a good few years before he got the Blue Badge. The Blue Badge is for the person not a particular car so I don't understand the relevancy of your question. If I took him shopping we'd have the Blue Badge in my car, if my sister took him it would be in her car.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Not a problem out in the sticks, supermarket carpark bays are sized for Landrovers. Also as Landrovers have the turning circle of a dead whale, the roadways between the rows are wider.

Occasionally I visit supermarkets in suburbia and the space available is noticeably tighter. Really bad ones need a three point turn to get out of a bay with only 9" clearance each side, that's clearance to the car either side not to the line.

Must be another feature of suburbian supermarket carparks, the carwashes on such car parks around here use pressure washers and vacuum cleaners.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Gosh that does surprise me. All the Costco's I have visited could almost have come out of the same mould, from the wide parking bays to where abouts the goods are on the racking. Streetview does confirm the lack of wide bays.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

So is the rest of the country:-)

The most concentrated piece of bad and dangerous group parking is outside a school when the Mums park up (by park up I mean just leave the car where it stops)

Reply to
ARW

99% sure that Haydock and Manchester do. Gateshead definitely has wide bays.
Reply to
Dave Liquorice

The question is whether it is illegal. The Highway Code suggests that it is covered by the Road Traffic Regulation Act, but the sections mentioned require there to be a Traffic Order in place. However, the Road Signs Regulations and General Directions do not seem to require a traffic order for school entrance markings to be placed.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

When I were a lad, we simply walked to and from school. While at infant's school, there would be a parent (not necessarily our own) waiting to see us across the busiest roads, but the others we crossed on our own. From primary school onwards, we were left to our own devices, although with strong warnings about not talking to strangers and never getting into a car.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

On Wednesday 16 October 2013 20:14 ARW wrote in uk.d-i-y:

You mean the 3rd official method of parking: crab into the kerb until something goes "crunch" indicating successful parking?

Reply to
Tim Watts

'Pologies. Not in MK. See upwards.

Reply to
Huge

On Wednesday 16 October 2013 20:45 Nightjar wrote in uk.d-i-y:

Off topic, here's a piccy I found of my old school (now demolished):

(we ate lunch in that nissan hut). It was cooked at the middle school and bussed down in an SCC van, so the custard was congeald and *really* lumpy by the time we got it. Someone always puked in the queue outside that hut so the playground was littered with little piles of sawdust.

And here's our school Xmas play:

I would have been 8. I should be in there somewhere - but as everyone had pudding bowl haircuts, I'm not entirely sure! I might also be hiding - I hated plays!!!

Reply to
Tim Watts

It's not a nissan hut, unless you kept an early Japanese car in it. You mean a Nissen hut... and it's not one of those either because they have a more or less semicircular cross-section. They must have been a nightmare to use with the weird sloping walls.

There's a famous one in Orkney which was decorated by Italian POWs in WWII:

Jeremy Nicoll - news posts

On Wednesday 16 October 2013 21:19 Jeremy Nicoll - news posts wrote in uk.d- i-y:

Ok - so green tin hut. But it was cold and teh windows were running with condensation and the dinner ladies beat us if we did not eat our liver and bacon.

That is a bit fancy!

Reply to
Tim Watts

In message , Jim K writes

They the absolute worst most inconsiderate drivers ever - and then have the nerve to complain about others.

Reply to
bert

Ours are only at school start and end times - when it is impossible to do anything like 20 mph because of all the parents parked cars.

Reply to
bert

Well it's not lager but is it beer?

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Probably did - downside, stretch marks and sleepless night, but a plus, I can park closer to the shop!

Reply to
John Rumm

Round here, at either end of the parallel road, we have a primary school and only a quarter mile away, a hospital. Every day the traffic wardens target the parking spaces on the road outside the hospital, booking people who are in marked parking places, but have overstayed due to late running appointments, etc. Meanwhile, parents parking for the two schools make it impossible to pull safely out of either end of our road due their parking right up to (and even partly round) the junctions, blocking any view of traffic trying to enter or leave the junctions. Despite contacting the council, the wardens continue to target the safe, but unavoidably detained patients and carers, while ignoring the dangerously parked parents. The two places are just about visible from each other!

SteveW

Reply to
SteveW

It makes sense to have them close to the shop, as in most cases pedestrians must walk along the car park roadways, while trying to protect their children from drivers that suddenly reverse out without looking. Being close minimises the distance that parents must try to escort children, in many cases too short to be seen when behind a car, while both hands are occupied steering the shopping trolley.

SteveW

Reply to
SteveW

and get a flat on the social.