OT where to buy domestic appliances

Page 1 of 2
Hi,
I need to buy a Fridgefreezer and washing machine. Any suggestions for best makes, and good outlets in the Oxford Reading Swindon area. I am thinking Bosch for the fridge freezer and AEG or Zanuusi for the washer.
Thanks
On Thu, 5 Feb 2004 23:40:27 -0000, "James Salisbury"

far better than the likes of Comet or Currys or similar. I would go for Bosch for the WM, actually, I have! I have Bosch WM & TD. I will always recommend Bosch first to anyone who comes into the shop. I have had no problems with any of the Bosch we have sold in the last 2-3 years compared with various complaints on other makes. ..
SJW A.C.S. Ltd.
On Thu, 5 Feb 2004 23:40:27 -0000, "James Salisbury"

Easy.
Go for Liebherr for the fridge freezer and Miele for the washer.
Look at the company web sites, find the model that you want.
Google for the best price you can get on line, including carriage.
Buy using a credit card.
Don't bother with outmoded bricks and mortar outlets because they are no more than order takers.
For service, Liebherr use local refrigeration engineers who they train. Miele have their own excellent service organisation
In case of diffiulty you have redress with your card company so there is no value to be had from the nature of the retailer. You might as well go for the best price.
.andy
To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Can't comment on Liebherr for FF but they make bloody good cranes and excavators.
Nic.

One or two people here have Liebherr refrigeration products and have found them good.
.andy
To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

John Lewis.
writes:

I have used Apollo 2000 and always found them excellent, if lacking in ambience and old-world charm.
--
Bob Mannix
(anti-spam is as easy as 1-2-3 - not)
James Salisbury wrote:

Go online. Cheaper.

writes

and I would use them again. Delivery took a couple of weeks but I did order a lot of stuff, and it came exactly when they said.
Buying online is OK till something goes wrong, at which point you may regret not buying from a local shop.
--
Tim Mitchell

Why, sale of goods act still applies. Some on line suppliers are excellent on this front. E.g. I recently had a very good experience with a Baumatic dishawasher which failed that I'd bought from Electric Shop on line. Electric Shop went well beyond what the SOGA requires.
With large appliances in particular you don't really want to 'take it back' so it makes little odds if the supplier is local or not.
--
Chris Green

snipped-for-privacy@isbd.co.uk writes:

That's not the point.

Go to John Lewis. they give a 2 yr guarantee on all white goods. Never knowingly undersold. Find the cheapest on the web, not in a sale, then print off the web details with dates etc, - a screen dump will do. Go to John Lewis and they will match the price. They sell you the appliance at JLs price, and check out the other price, then send you a cheque for the difference. That is what I did. They sell a whole load of appliance. If you know what you want they will check out their lists. It is not just what is in the showroom.
Their service is far superior to some back street on the web outlet. So, the best price, a 2 yr guarantee and excellent service and backup.
Also try Wickes. They had a 40% off deal, recently. It may still be on.

find a decent shop to buy from. We sell Bosch way under any elses prices locally. ..
SJW A.C.S. Ltd.
IMM wrote:

How 'Little Englander' of you!

Uh!

How very stupid a comment that is, John Lewis was recommended for a reason that obviously whooshed over your head.
It was mentioned elsewhere to go to john lewis, you failed to respond in fashion to that, in fact the other response was just 'go to John Lewis', IMM followed that up with some good advice on price matching.
Just because the comment was made by IMM i'll be guessing. Whilst i don't agree with a lot he says, when someone actually writes something useful don't shoot it down just because you feel the need to always take a differing view to him.
They generally give guarantees longer than that offered by the manufacturer. They have a very good customer service They are 'local' They price match to the cheapest price, with i believe certain caveats, one of those is that online suppliers be registered in the UK.

As was mentioned elsewhere in this thread - bosch (and Miele and no doubt others) now offer 2yrs anyway. Nowt gained from JL.

Indeed.
Not always. Nothing all that local to me for example (Folkestone)

They no longer price match Internet sites :-(
Saying this, I tend to always use either JohnLewis or local independants.
Darren

John Lewis will match online prices, and you actually get some customer service.
And their delivery men can find your house.

Not anymore they won't (at least, the Bluewater branch won't)

A good point!
Darren
On Mon, 09 Feb 04 09:55:07 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@ukc.ac.uk (dmc) wrote:

No, I didn't think they went that far either. ICBW.

Free removal of old appliances included in the price of new, at least a couple of years ago, anyway.
Personally, I hope they go on forever. But then I value the concept of customer service more highly than the absolute cheapest price. It's just a shame so many of their customers are complete up-themselves a***holes.
--
I may not be perfect, but I am all I got!

Mail john rather than nospam...