OT; where the 'kinell have they gone?

OK, giving my inbox a tidy up. I'm using Thunderbird.

I have a folder called 'Wendy'. I sort my e mails by name, select all of them from Wendy and drag them to the 'Wendy' folder.

Now they have vanished!

I've checked the folders either side on the list, plus junk & trash. Nowhere to be seen.

The folder still contains the messages that where already there, but none of the new ones.

Any idea where they have gone?

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

When dragging stuff things can sometimes go wrong. rather than going to the sub-folder on either side of Wendy they may have gone to the main folder which holds all the sub-folders.

If you're using Windows the easiest way to find them would be to find a text string or certain words which most likely would only appear in the Wendy messages. And then do a file search for all files containing that string or those words. Then go and have a cup of tea.

When you come back the lost files should all be grouped together in the list, along with files actually in the Wendy folder and others scattered around all over the place.

michael adams

folder which you would

Reply to
michael adams

Hmmm, oddly enough our Parish Council Chairman had the same problem only a couple of weeks ago, except that in her case it was the Inbox in Outlook. As I know nothing about Windows I couldn't help her (or, possibly, you). However:

1) Look in the Recycle Bin - not TB's one but the computer's one. 2) They're not on the desktop are they?

3) For the future, can I suggest setting up a filter so that as mail from Wendy arrives, it gets filtered to the Wendy folder with no action needed from you? And likewise for other similar folders.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Have you tried Edit: Undo?

Alternatively you could do a global search.

Reply to
Mike Barnes

Maybe he has a Peter Pan folder? Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Perhaps Wendy's husband wanted her back ?

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

Try Edit/Find on the Account

Reply to
Andy Cap

In message , michael adams writes

I would try the following: On each of your mailboxes in turn, right click on it, select 'Search Messages', then do a match on something that's likely to work. [If you want, you could do the same for each folder.]

Reply to
Ian Jackson

Another thing worth trying is "Rescan Folders" - double click account line to collapse folders, then double click again and it should recheck with the IMAP server (if you use IMAP). It may be thunderbird lost the folder but the IMAP server still has.

Reply to
Tim Watts

Never-Never Land ;-)

J^n