OT Where our foriegn aid goes.

Must explain why the PM gets paid about the same amount to run the entire country.

Reply to
Simon263

Well, if I were in charge of this country, then the RNLI would have been founded by the government, not charity. The same would have applied to hospices for example.

Fair enough.

Reply to
JoeJoe

On 28/05/2015 07:04, JoeJoe wrote: ...

Speaking as a Governor of the RNLI, we prefer things they way they are, without government interference in what we do, or the cuts that have affected HM Coastguard.

Reply to
Nightjar

Speaking as a Shoreline member who has been rescued by the RNLI, I agree.

Reply to
Huge

Supply and Demand. There's no shortage of people wanting to be PM...

I wonder what CEOs of other £400m businesses get paid on average?

Reply to
Adrian

The RNLI actively don't want to be public sector.

But, of course, they do work very closely with the RAF's Air-Sea Rescue division.

Reply to
Adrian

No.

There is no shortage of people want to run operations like Oxfam either.

Irrelevant to what makes sense with a charity that needs to convince people to give them money.

The Salvos aren't actually stupid enough to pay theirs anything like that.

Reply to
Simon263

That os one waya the same way the banklers work out their salery.

For me that depends what a CEO actually does rather than just the title.

SO the CEO of Oxfam ca';t leave and get anbother job ? It's impossible to be an ex CEO of oxfam is it, didn;t know that.

What has that got to do with it ? Why not compare it to what the Queen or Prince phillip get ? Why not compare it with Jony Ive or the late steve jobs.

You need even better people underneath.

Reply to
whisky-dave

He doesn't run the entire country. He doesn't open the local shops, run the transport services or ambulance service any more than I do. he didnm;t build the olympic stadium or cross rail any more than Boris buil t tower bridge.

Reply to
whisky-dave

The whole of govt is just tad more than Oxfam does.

Reply to
Simon263

What do you mean by that ?

Reply to
whisky-dave

The nice thing about charities is that their accounts are really easily accessible.

p40 of the PDF...

Total salaries/benefits (2,900 FTE people) were £70m - average £24k. Two directors were paid ~£75k. One employee of a subsidiary was paid £140-150k

27 employees, total, were paid £60k+...
Reply to
Adrian

I'm not sure how efective such things really are, I go out of my way twice a week to aviod these people with clipboards asking for a DD. And I'm sure I'm not the only one.

Maybe but it seems comic relief, sports relief etc. don't use the DD method I wonder why if it's so successful.

Reply to
whisky-dave

Are you talking about thelikes of Nigal Farage or are you saying there's a shortage of CEOs ?

It would be intreesting to know but I don't see Oxfam as a business,. it's not there to make a profit for it's investors or is it ?

Here's one.

Maybe you can tell me why these CEOs can;t have a multi-million pound bonu s and high saleries for doing their jobs like the bankers do .

Reply to
whisky-dave

It is the way anybody in any industry should use to decide the value of an employee, whether it is a CEO or the janitor.

In case you hadn't noticed, he used to be PM and that sort of income is what being an ex-PM gets you. An ex-CEO of a charity does not have similar prospects.

Reply to
Nightjar

So nothing like what Oxfam pays theirs.

And I don?t give a penny to either operation partly because of those obscene salaries they do pay.

Nothing like what is being discussed, the CEO of the entire operation which is much bigger than Oxfam.

Reply to
Simon263

Well, only three times average annual full-time salary, instead of five times... Still WAY below what somebody in the private sector would be paid for the same role.

But, admit it, you were believing the "£10k" urban myth, right?

Indeed. More.

Wrong. The SA's turnover is less than half Oxfam's.

B'sides, I don't actually much care who's the highest-paid person in the organisation, or what they're paid. Just so long as they're worth it.

Reply to
Adrian

What the private sector pays is completely irrelevant with a charity that needs to get people to hand them their money.

Wasn?t even aware of that until you brought it up.

That isn't the CEO of the entire operation being discussed.

World wide that is a lie.

No evidence that either of them are given the pathetic results Oxfam has got.

Reply to
Simon263

Or else they'd get someone who has already made enough money, and really believes in their aims.

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris

I would have thought salery should equal the value of the work you do. I do NOT think charities should be classed as industry.

Who took as into an illegal war. So are yuo saying that if teh CEO of Oxfam did the same we should pay him around £14 million this year ?.

Niether do I, neither do those wiping patients arses in hostals. A friend that works as a care workr and gets paid minium wage and starts wo rk at 7am finishing at 8pm works christmas day for minium wage + 10%. You really think T. Blair is worth 14 million a year. I just hope it's not me that's paying his salery.

Reply to
whisky-dave