[OT] Where in UK get "beep once bell" plus PIR unit

I want to know when someone is approaching my front door.

I want a sort of doorbell system which is triggered by a PIR rather than by a user pressing on push-switch.

Of course I don't want the bell/buzzer to sound for minutes each time but just for a few seconds.

Can I buy such a setup ("beep once bell" plus PIR) as a single package?

Or do I have to build it myself - if so, then where can I get the beep-once alarm?

Reply to
Meg A Hurtz

Practically any PIR intended for use with a lamp can be turned down to 5-10 seconds. Simply use one of these, with the relay output connected to the doorbell, possibly with a button in parallel in case the PIR fails.

Ensure that the relay output is fully isolated, and not connected to live or neutral.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

Various places sell them -

?dept_id=200347&pf_id=LS2207D

logized

In message , Meg A Hurtz writes

CPC do an annoying "3 beep" one

Reply to
raden

Typical intruder alarms panels come with a 'chime' facility which causes the panel to beep when a zone is activated. This can be set on a per zone basis, so if you already have an alarm or are thinking of adding one then you would simply mount a standard PIR over the front door in a weather proof location.

A standalone mains powered PIR detector will have contacts that are distinct from its power supply (cf the innards of a cheap PIR floodlight). these contacts can be used to do the buisness on a bog standard door bell. Also these units will be reasonably weatherproof (say IPX4 or better).

HTH

Reply to
Ed Sirett

For those using pushbutton bells its easy to convert those to one ding only. On the PSU output fit: rectifier - resistor - reservoir cap.

Regards, NT

Reply to
N. Thornton

You can get an external PIR from a good DIY store that has a receiver that you plug into an ordinary electric socket. When the PIR detects movement the unit will beep. The good thing about it is you can fit it to any plug socket in any room.

PaulC

Reply to
Paul C

I probably didn't make it clear but 5 to 10 seconds is a bit too long for me.

I want a single "bzzzzzzz!" lasting just a second or so.

Reply to
Svend Cr

Easy enough to make - even by keeping it down to ready made units. Maplin do a couple of timers with relay outputs - VF08 looks like it might be suitable.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Maplins website says VF08 is discontinued.

Reply to
Lem

They keep doing that. Perhaps VF06, then?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

So the door bell goes every time the post arrives, when family members come home, etc etc. Well annoying.

Regards, NT

Reply to
N. Thornton

Train a mosquito

Reply to
raden

you can get PIR operated lights with a chime option as well.

Reply to
BIG NIGE

Mosquitos go nnneeeep not bzzzzz, try a Blue bottle or Bumble Bee.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

But you'd have to guarantee to swat it after a 'second or so'!

Reply to
Jeff Gaines

Are there any models where the chime can be remote from the PIR light itself?

If so where can I get one from?

Reply to
Svend Cr

I'd have thought they all would, not much point in the exterior light going "boing" is there?

Reply to
Dave Liquorice