[OT] When do you start wearing Popies

People who appear on TV seem to be wearing poppies very early this year or is it my imagination? There are19 days to go before the 11th day of the 11th Month. What is the protocol for this and who decides these matters. I usually wear a red poppy during the week in which the 11th day falls in. Don

Reply to
Donwill

I don't wear one at all. I just chuck a wedge of money at the collectors.

About the only charity I do.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Not regulated (thank goodness we don't have a Quango administering a Poppy Act) but much debated.

I was educated by many people who served in WW2 who started in November.

The Royal British Legion have in the past suggested from the launch of their poppy appeal. This year that will be 28 October.

A lot of people in the public eye start sooner for fear of being criticised for *not* wearing one: political correctness etc etc

Reply to
Robin

In message , The Natural Philosopher wrote

It's one charity that I once supported, but no more.

In the last couple of years I've been on the British Legion "Poppy Appeal" junk mail begging list. The amount of junk they send me must be costing an absolute fortune. At times the postman cannot get the letters through the letter box, especially when they include (for some unknown reason) a large wooden cross in the package.

You would have to pay £50+ into the collection box just to pay for the mass mailing that they send me alone.

It's another charity that has really lost it's way and are probably spending more money employing professional fund raisers than they spending on the people who deserve support.

Reply to
Alan

In message , Robin writes

The BBC has agreed dates when the presenters can wear Poppies to avoid 'Poppy Creep' , last year it was 24th Oct - which was the Saturday 2 weeks before Remembrance Sunday.

Reply to
chris French

yeah. help for heroes is possibly somewhat better.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

In message , chris French wrote

Another layer important policy decision management that can be made redundant at the BBC :)

Reply to
Alan

I'm slightly ambivalent about it. Until a couple of years ago, I took the view that the government (ok, taxpayer) should support people who had fought for their country, and couldn't support themselves, and that organisations such as the British Legion shouldn't need to exist.

But then my 99-year-old father-in-law reached the stage where we could no longer look after him, and the local British Legion home would have taken him in, on the strength of his RAF service from 1925 to 1935! In the event, he died before he could go in - but their willingness to take him changed my attitude considerably.

Reply to
Roger Mills

I only wear mine on the second Sunday of November for a few hours.

Reply to
ARWadsworth

Just asked my wife who was very active in the legion until it had to close and lay up its standard and she tells me there are no fixed dates as to when you can start to wear one, other than the time they come on sale. There is, however, an official start to the legion starting to sell poppies, as against shops that have been asked to put them on their counters.

HTH

Dave

Reply to
Dave

Yes, the mother of a friend had been in two other old people's homes that were bad. Her husband had been in the army so she got into the Legion home, Halsey House, in Cromer in Norfolk. It was exemplary. Exactly how all the homes should be. This has changed my attitude to the Legion. Apart from disasters, prior to that I only gave to children's charities and the sally army.

Peter Scott

Reply to
Peter Scott

What exactly *is* a "popie"?

And isn't he going to be pissed off at being worn?

Reply to
Huge

Yes, there is a double P in Poppies, the singular being Poppy. Sorry to offend your grammatical sense. Don .

Reply to
Donwill