OT wheelie bin pollution rant

Didn't middens contain the output of the toilet as well?

Reply to
<me9

Huh! Last Christmas I ran out to give the lads a bottle of wine and a few tins. He took them and put them in his cab without a word of thanks!

Obviously didn't care for the vintage...

Reply to
Schrodinger's cat

On Fri, 7 Jul 2006 19:34:10 +0100, "Schrodinger's cat" had this to say:

Did you remember to rinse out and flatten the tins first?

Reply to
Frank Erskine

I passed a house today with a Santa and christmas tree on the chimney.

Reply to
<me9

I agree seven bags seems excessive.

Some people generate unnecessary waste. I used to share with a person who, every time he returned from sainsburys, would leave the kitchen bin completely full - with his empty plastic bags. The idea that he should use them again just never occured to him.

tim

Reply to
tim (back at home)

Or your lowly station ;-)

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

In earlier times.

They're fascinating for archaeologists.

Reply to
Mary Fisher

That's what I've found. We always thank them if we see them. If we've had a problem they've listened to us, answered us (politely if hurriedly) and we have no complaints.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Phew! It's not just the Fishers then :-)

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Has anyone tried dumping the refuse that is refused collection in their local council office and demanding that they see to it? And what was the result?

Dave

Reply to
Dave

I have a hobby job at our local primary school and the school gets charged for every lift that the bin men do. 4 bins = 4 lifts.

During the half term and summer holidays, I have taken the step of opening the school gates and leaving a car in the car park. Every time I do this, I get a free lift.

I was once there when they did a lift and asked them about refuse collection during the holidays. The team leader told me that he liked to look after his schools and he has continued to do that to this day, I am pleased to say. I just wish that it was within my remit to give them a treat.

Dave

Reply to
Dave

Get your neighbours to use plastic refuse sacks. I was offered a wheelie bin and due to the fact that it would be at the front of the house with the sun on it until about 2 to 3 o'clock, (we live in a late 70s block of six houses that have no individual path to the back of them) we opted for bags. Every now and again, we get asked if we want a bin, but if I agreed, I would have to charge the council ground rent that would increase at twice the rate that the council tax does :-)

Dave

Reply to
Dave

On Fri, 7 Jul 2006 19:45:23 +0100, snipped-for-privacy@privacy.net wrote (in article ):

That must have been very painful.....

Reply to
Andy Hall

On Fri, 7 Jul 2006 21:12:03 +0100, Dave wrote (in article ):

No, but it's something that I've always wanted to do.

I've got the Victor Meldrew starter kit as well, but the bureaucrats always seem to cave in.

It's no good - you can't even get joy in complaining any more.

Reply to
Andy Hall

Try it and see - don't leave it to others.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

The special wagon which collects our rubbish can only take wheelie bins because of the lifting gear which is designed to take bins, not bags.

Reply to
Mary Fisher

I hadn't thought about it that way :-(

Ouch!

Dave

Reply to
Dave

Their loss, not yours :-)

Ask them for bin bags and see what they say.

Dave

Reply to
Dave

?

They'll give us them if we ask, to wrap rubbish in before we put it in the bag. But the Fishers have no need.

We have plenty anyway, to use at events when the organisers don't provide them.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Oddly enough, I saw a wheelie bin being used as a drum yesterday...

On its side on a pavement in Brighton, with a variety of other percussion around, and a second person playing a disappointingly normal bongo.

Reply to
Joe