OT: What you can and can't do at a polling station

It's not ironic. It SHOULD be the case that the ballot is secret; it is not simply a matter choice. It should be impossible for anyone to see your completed ballot paper except you. This is to remove the possibility of coercion.

Postal votes undermine this and that's why they are a bad thing (in my view).

Robert

Reply to
RobertL

That the presiding officer has such powers is, I would imagine, laid down in the various Representation of the People Acts.

Reply to
Tim Streater

not simply a matter choice. It should be impossible for anyone to see your completed ballot paper except you.

And those doing the counting ;-) I also don;t like the way the 'provide a P ENCIL !' a pen would be better, I know you can use your own.

And when you hand over yuor voting card, they cross you off teh registar an other person hands you the ballot paper and calls a 4 or 5 digit number out to the person handing you the ballot paper they then write that number in a book. So not as secret as it could be. I think mine was 1401 or 14001 couldn;t hear propperly and niether could he so the number was said twice, screaming sporg behind didn;t help.

My mother is pretty much housebound and could only really go there by ambul ance or perhaps a cab, not sure if she voted. I was also supirsed to find out that a french friend who's lived in London for 20 years now wasn't allowed to vote.

Reply to
whisky-dave