OT - What you always kew about Smart Meters

And the govmint has known for 4 years:

PeterC

There is only one reason for smart meters,To make more money for the provider.

Reply to
F Murtz

I would in general agree, but I have a flat near to but not in London, and smart metering might reduce the utility costs, which admittedly are already small, as it is only occupied on an occasional basis. A water meter is scheduled to be installed sometime soon, so I will be able to compare the two systems. Apparently I can keep to the old payment method for up to 2 years.

How they are going to install 5 meters in a 6" x 5" pipe chase full of pipe, I have no idea. I might be there to watch that.

Reply to
Davey

In article , PeterC writes

And we've know the government has known from day 1. They should subscribe in here instead of listening to all the green s**te, then they would avoid such nonsense.

Reply to
bert

Since I get free electric with my spinning disc, I don't want one at all.

Simon Mason

BG rang me yesterday wanting to install smart meters. I politely declined. When I was asked why, I replied "research".

Reply to
Mr Pounder Esquire

but they ignored their OWN advisors telling them, why would they believe an anonymous third party?

tim

Reply to
tim...

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

Yes, just like water meters, broadband and B+W CRT TVs

Reply to
Simon Mason

In that case I'll tell EDF to f*ck off. The leaflet they just sent me didn't say there was a choice. It just said "Smart meters are coming" and "They allow you to se how much you're using". I already have a device that tells me that, it's wrapped round the live fusebox tail.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

dn't say there was a choice. It just said "Smart meters are coming" and "T hey allow you to se how much you're using". I already have a device that t ells me that, it's wrapped round the live fusebox tail.

Simple - just arrange never to be at home on the day they threaten to turn up, they will soon get pissed off and leave you alone. Here, there is a big waiting list which suits me fine as at the moment I am getting free electr icity forever.

Reply to
Simon Mason

How is free electricity connected to not getting a smart meter?

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

Yes, it's optional in England. Dunno about the Colonies. Seems that eventually we will all have to have the gas/electric meters replaced. But, we can refuse the phone home function. Google is you fiend.

Reply to
Mr Pounder Esquire

I have no problem with one being there. Apart from I just can't be bothered to have it installed. My meter is only a few years old as I got a digital two-tariff one recently to get cheaper rates. Mind you, since I have an outdoor meter box, I guess I can't stop them. But I'm not going out of my way to help them by being in on a certain day etc.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

You contact them and say no. If it's not broke ........

Reply to
Mr Pounder Esquire

I assume they should save money as no meter reading is needed, although I'm reading it myself so it won't save them much for me.

As I said, they can change it if they want, as long as I don't have to do anything. The cost if any is going to be given to everyone as a whole, not just those with smart meters, so I'll save nothing by avoiding it.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

Hello Teresa :-)

Welcome to uk.d-i-y!

Adrian Caspersz

Mr Pounder Esquire

Sensationalist bullshit.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

The way they use the mobile network costs quite a bit. They are unfortunately a considerable cost which consumers will end up paying albeit indirectly.

Reply to
Michael Chare