OT: What is your favorite mattresse type?

Off topic entirely, but I'm looking to get a new matress and am interested to know what peoples opinions on the best type are?

My present one gives me back-ache - was quite expensive and is about 6 years old, I think it might be orthopaedic which would explain the back-ache ;-)

It seems that the current way of thinking is to go with foam/memory foam and not springs. Does anyone have a memory foam matress, if so is it better than the older spring types?

Thanks

Reply to
Rich

Waterbed ! the right temp all year round, extremely supportive and relaxing. Not so good if you are significantly heavier/lighter than your partner, not such an issue on a king size, but double & queen size can cause your lighter partner to rest on a bit of a mound.

Try before you buy, but we've had one for 6 or 7 years now and I still love it.

Reply to
www.GymRatZ.co.uk

I have a memory foam mattress and love it. My wife, who has a bad back hates it :(

She says there isn't enough resistance to let her turn over in the night. I don't turn over if I'm comfy. They take a while longer to warm up when you first get in, more mass to heat up, I guess.

R.

Reply to
TheOldFellow

We have an organic rubber foam mattress, it's deep and very comfortable and I can get up easily in a morning whereas I couldn't with the spring mattress.

The trouble is that it was very expensive (£800) and it transmits every little movement my husband makes in the night.

I don't fancy a memory mattress because of not being able to change position easily.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

I think that the memory foam stampede is lacking in proper consideration. Some people love it. Some hate it. We went for pocket sprung.

I noticed time and again that people reported memory foam as being very warm to sleep on.

We do have a memory foam topper (on a foldaway bed). That memory foam has "fingers" and changes a barely acceptable put-u-up into something quite adequate.

Also remember that you might be in for new bed linen if you change mattress thickness substantially!

Reply to
Rod

We have a memory foam topper, above a solid (non-sprung) mattress, and I have no problem changing position on it. I also suffer from far fewer aches and pains, since we made the change.

We bought it from a caravan mattress supplier, which is a lot cheaper then buying it in a shop (£80 compared to £150+). They can cut it to whatever size you want - we also bought one for the caravan, once I knew that it would be advantageous.

Reply to
Anne Jackson

We spent about a considerable amount of time looking at, trying out and researching into mattresses to go into the super-king bed frame we'd ordered; this was over the winter months a couple of years ago.

We were very close to buying a memory-foam type (from either Tempur or Sealy) until we tried one out in a store that kept the internal temperature to around a balmy summer night order -- within 10 minutes we were both uncomfortably hot (and this was on a mattress that had grooves in it to leech away the heat, so the brochure said). Uncertain whether it was just down to the ambient temperature of the store, we did some more research and ended up finding a number of posts/articles on the web about how some memory foam mattresses can actually become very unsupportive within 2 years -- although the foam itself retains its "memory" type qualities, the mattress as a whole doesn't offer the same level of "firmness" that it was bought with.

Since then, we've personally met three different couples that have previously bought memory foam mattresses and now all have (or are in the process of) changed them for something else for exactly this reason. On the other hand, we also know of two couple that have memory foam mattresses and love them. YMMV.

In the end, we ended up with Vi-spring and Hastens on our shortlist. Bought a Hastens Excelsior and totally love it. A crap load of money to spend on a mattress, but you spend around 7 or 8 hours /per night/ in bed so it's worth getting something that's comfortable and going to last a goodly amount of time (they come with 25 year warranties!)

Styx

Reply to
Styx

6 layer futon. Cheap as chips, and when you fancy a new one you can put the old one on the compost heap.

Regards,

Reply to
Stephen Howard

The message from Rod contains these words:

Only if you opted for those nasty fitted sheets...

Reply to
Anne Jackson

I have always preferred latex foam...

Reply to
John Rumm

!!

Fitted sheets are one of the truly great inventions of our time. They are far more pleasant to sleep on than the non-fitted variety.

Reply to
Grunff

Do you find it hotter than a spring mattress when it does warm up?

Reply to
Rich

Rich wrote: > Do you find it hotter than a spring mattress when it does warm up?

About the same as an autumn mattress, I'd guess. :-)

Reply to
Rod

If there is a house fire the occupants could be poached to death!

Reply to
m1ss_wh1te

If there is a house fire the occupants could be poached to death!

No, you keep a sharp implement by the bed and pierce the bed in case of fire. It's an inbuilt sprinkler :-)

Unless you live in a bungalow ...

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Pocket-sprung. The more springs/unit area, the better. Very pricey, but definitely worth it.

dan.

Reply to
dwtowner

Dunlopillo latex foam.

Costs more than springs, less than memory foam. Worth every penny, IMHO.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Reply to
Huge

Indeed. Bloody expensive though. Couldn't afford one when the original needed replacing. Pocket springs OK.

Reply to
Bob Mannix

But when you consider how long a mattress lasts and you divide the number of those nights into the cost it's very cheap. Our latex one was £800 and I reckon we've had our money's worth already.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher