OT what have I done?

Loads out there on corporate intranets (some only working on IE6!), and a few SaaS type vendors on the internet that still require it.

Reply to
John Rumm

Sorry. Bad explanation. The FWi site currently allows 2 articles to be read but wants you to sign in for more. I don't like auto sign in and use an alternative browser to confuse them:-)

Reply to
Tim Lamb

I agree that is a safe bet and I prob shouldn't have scared Tim.

A different matter with other tools though, HijackThis for example but safe on Malwarebytes.

Reply to
fred

In message , Martin Brown writes

OK Done. I ran the quick version and removed some items. Others I left due to nervousness:-)

Full scan tonight!

Reply to
Tim Lamb

In message , Brian Gaff writes

I don't think the *way back* machine works on my current set up. I always assumed this was a conflict with Norton?

Reply to
Tim Lamb

I do that but they don't always offer a choice.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Sadly my now rather dated mail/news reader doesn't work on 64 bytes. There are workarounds but not something I am anxious to engage.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

er.. It flagged about 15 but only ticked 2 for removal. I should have a fresh list tomorrow and plan to post some examples here for comment.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

In article , Tim Lamb writes

As John suggests you are 99.9% safe to take it at its word and kill the lot but feel free to post a screengrab of the results to remove all doubt.

Tinypic suggested for an easy upload:

A tip is that most things it identifies as PUPs (Potentially Useful Programs) aren't (useful that is) :-). Even if they were useful and you lost them then it's a simple enough matter to find them again and re-install.

Reply to
fred

In article , fred writes

Potentially *unwanted* programs, I think you meant.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

In article , Mike Tomlinson writes

Quite right, thank you :-)

Also, I've realised my suggestion to disconnect the network connection and run from safe mode may stop the prog updating before running which is pretty much essential. I ran a fix on a box using MAB over Christmas only to have it re-infect itself in the New Year as the MAB definitions were just a month out of date and had missed the hook for the re-infection.

The alternative is to let then prog update then disconnect before the disinfection process.

Reply to
fred

Indeed, and my comments were specific to Malwarebytes. HijackThis is a useful tool and a different class of thing altogether like Systeinternals Autoruns.

Reply to
John Rumm

It will not automatically tick the "potentially unwanted" programs (i.e. some browser search engine replacements etc). However its still a safe bet to right click on the check box list and choose "select all" from the popup.

Reply to
John Rumm

With some applications you need to go through the "advanced" or "custom" install to deselect the bundled shovelware.

Reply to
John Rumm

You can install Win 7 32 bit if you want... that retains the ability to run 16 bit code. Failing that Win 7 Pro allows use of "compatibility mode" (i.e. basically a XP install stuffed into a virtual PC), and that will work on the 64 bit version.

Reply to
John Rumm

In message , Tim Lamb writes

That would that be TP I see - in order to keep it I bought W732 bit, but I still run XP on a laptop. I haven't seen anything startlingly better on W7. IE8 was crap on it though, regularly going into a loop so now use FF

Reply to
bert

In message , fred writes

Ah! I wondered what that meant.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

In message , fred writes

Spotted that. 199 days overdue. Starting in safe mode is problematic. The initial displays are too fast to read so I don't know when to hit F8. The initial run was done in normal set up. Bloody slow loading!

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Setting the browser to reject cookies from that site usually fixes those... works on the Telegraph paywall for example.

Reply to
John Rumm

In message , John Rumm writes

Sssh!