OT - What can I buy the wife

Some people are just useless when it comes to buying pressies - i`m one of them...

I just go into some weird panic attack mode, and walk around like a zombie for 4 hours, not taking in anything i`m looking at, until the missus tells me to give up and come home !

Reply to
Colin Wilson

Do you have the same problem when shopping around for something you want?

I doubt it, you think about it because you're enthusiastic about it. It's a pity you're not as enthusiastic as making a gift to someone you're fond of.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

On 9 Jul 2006 02:58:05 -0700, "Homer2911" had this to say:

A good bench saw. If she doesn't want it she'll give it to you...

Reply to
Frank Erskine

Nobody here is going to know her well enough to come up with something she is sure to like. In any case, you are probably too late to book what I usually give my partner for her birthday - a long weekend in a major European city.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
nightjar

The message from "Mary Fisher" contains these words:

But think of all the good karma you'll acrue from the happiness of his future partners once you've shown him the ropes. And the feathers. And the little rubber thing with the wiggly bit.

Reply to
Guy King

Now you're talking!

Reply to
Homer2911

Why would anyone, only sorting out the best vfm etc?

Or are shopping with a purpose?

*We* rarely buy / make / give each other anything because 1) we don't feel a need to and 2) generally would wouldn't know what to get for each other and 3) we don't 'do' birthdays, wedding anniversaries, xmyth etc?

That's not to say I have never bought / made / done something for my wife *because* I know she would like / need / want it though (but not on any particular date?) ?

I suspect many folk buy / get / do something with / for their partners purely because it's expected and they would never hear the last of it if they didn't.

We are closer than that ..

All the best ..

T i m

Like the (mainly) guys who do all their last minute shopping at the petrol stations on their way home on the day .. but it's the thought that counts isn't it? ;-)

Reply to
T i m

That's unfair, Mary. Most women are contrary. Whatever you buy them is wrong.

Reply to
Bob Martin

In article , T i m writes

Mine likes to hear- "I've managed to pay your credit card off" -again;)....

Reply to
tony sayer

====================== To end the argument - a bag of old fashioned sweets - 'gob stoppers'.

Cic.

Reply to
Cicero

Quite :-)

No, but the OP does, apparently.

I can't cope with all those slashes ...

It's marketing to suckers.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Only because it is, usually :-)

If you put more thought into it ...

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Can you still get them in bags?

Your ploy isn't working :-)

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

You believe in karma?

But when I'd finished with him there's be nothing left for future partners. He might not have a future anyway.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Ah, technology. I bought Spouse a Teasmade. I don't understand how to use it so it's definitely his. He's had several since, he likes it so much.

I bought him a super duper sewing machine, he's using it as I type. I don't understand the controls - but prefer hand sewing anyway.

He bought himself the vacuum cleaner.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

"nightjar .uk.com>"

I wouldn't want that but a memorable break is a good idea. I'd love a cruise to Greenland, I keep hinting but he's refused. I'll bring it up again and again until he gives in, then I'll say how clever he is for thinking of it :-)

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Funnily enough, I do, unless its something really specific - and even then i`ll usually ignore the idea for a couple of months. Of course, there are some impulse buys, but the same applies to the missus - if there`s anything that catches her eye, all she has to do is ask, time of year or proximity to a "memorable date" has nothing to do with it.

I say ask, because, being a bloke, i`m completely unaware of the subtleties of "ooh, isn't that nice", and many a time i`ve bought something misunderstanding her meaning of "nice" only to find she meant completely the opposite - we once ended up in Las Vegas on holiday for exactly that reason !

No, i`m just plain ol' clueless :-}

Reply to
Colin Wilson

I pity those women whose husbands don't have secretaries to buy them a really thoughtful present :-)

Of course those husbands who do have secretaries sometimes buy the secretary a more thoughtful present than their wife would want ;-)

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Of course you are, if your name denotes that you have dangly bits.

For the record, I hate shopping.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

How do they decide what the secretary wants? Unless the sec. is male of course.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher