OT: web design again, and an oddity

I didn't know that; I'll check it out. Thanks.

Bert

Reply to
Bert Coules

You might find:

shows major problems. If a site looks the same in all the thumbnails the chances are it'll render well on almost anything.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

If using Firefox:

Tools: Web Developer : Responsive Design View

will enable you to check various screen resolutions.

Reply to
djc

En el artículo , The Natural Philosopher escribió:

ctrl-f5 to force a reload from the server is easier and quicker.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

Yes indeed. I had no idea that existed. Many thanks.

Bert

Reply to
Bert Coules

Another very useful Firefox feature I didn't know about. Thanks.

Bert

Reply to
Bert Coules

Another website design question, which I thought I'd probably better stick in the existing thread rather than starting a new one, to avoid multiplying the number of not-strictly-DIY discussions.

Is there a utility available which fill the screen with a grid and report co-ordinates as your mouse moves over it?

I know that most graphics packages can do this for a loaded image but I'm thinking in terms of complete screen coverage. I know of course of the necessity of catering for as many different resolutions and screen sizes as possible, but this is more basic than that: working on my standard monitor, I'm just having trouble when positioning elements to mentally go from "I want it just there" to "so that's co-ordinates XXX by YYY".

But does such a thing exist? I've searched around of course but haven't found anything as simple and as basic as I'm thinking of. Of course I could always sit down with a big sheet of paper, a pencil and a ruler...

Many thanks.

Bert

Reply to
Bert Coules

knock up a grid on a graphics package , give it a transparent background and load it last over the top of everything else.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Like that. As knowing the screen co-ords won't really help as you need to know the co-ords of the window contents. Still need to make sure you load it into the largest container with no borders, margins, padding, etc or you are going to get mind mangling offsets. B-)

Personally I think the easy option is to draw all the containers out on paper with the dimensions of any borders, margins, padding etc.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

There are several varieties of screen ruler, e.g.

Andy Burns

Nice idea. Thanks.

And Dave, good point about fitting it to the largest container.

My original (if slightly jokey) suggestion...

Bert

Reply to
Bert Coules

Bert Coules :

I'm trying not to say "I wouldn't start from there", but...

I've done quite a lot of pixel-precise CSS design and I've never felt the need for a grid. What I use is Firebug (a Firefox add-on) or Safari's Web Inspector, and I believe there's something similar in IE . With those I can use the "Layout" (Firebug) or "Metrics" (Safari) panels to indicate the margin, border, and padding of any element. Also I can change the pixel numbers or use the arrow keys to nudge things and see the results instantly.

Reply to
Mike Barnes

And I've been doing the same. But nonetheless (and accepting that I'm only just getting to grips with all this) I've still felt to the need to look at the screen, think "yes, that element ought to go just there" and be able immediately to translate that position into numerical co-ordinates rather than use trial and error.

Bert

Reply to
Bert Coules

Bert

Reply to
Bert Coules

Mike, my apologies. I haven't been doing the same: in fact, I haven't (beyond a brief initial look) ben using Firebug at all. If I had, I would have realised (as I now do after a second try) that Firebug does indeed do a lot of what I was talking about. My apologies: I don't know what I was thinking...

Bert

Reply to
Bert Coules