OT: We missed you..

No you didn't ! I was here waiting for you! Use the bl...y door knocker, that's what it's for!

And after I rebook the delivery online, I get:

Your request has been actioned."

Actioned? It's not a verb, 'Action' is a noun.

Darned APC Logistics.

Rant over.

Reply to
Davey

Do you want them to reach out to you?

Or perhaps dialogue with you?

Reply to
Tim Watts

It can be both, you know.

My New Shorter Oxford Dictionary includes the verb "action" meaning "take action on, put into effect". The first recorded use is in the mid

20th century.

Action that!

Reply to
Mike Barnes

And Winnie was fond of annotating a briefing with "Action this day". Did he mean that he wanted some action to be taken today (noun), or that he wanted the note to be actioned today (verb)?

Reply to
Tim Streater

Anyone remember the sketch with the delivery man sneaking up to the door, popping a "we called but you were out" card through the letterbox, and scarpering? Maybe Not the Nine O'Clock News?

Reply to
Caecilius

Why do these guys do this sort of thing? It only takes 30 seconds to knock/deliver and get a signature.

Reply to
Mr Pounder Esquire

Agreed. The knocker on our door can be heard all over the house, and I was within sight of the door all morning, deliberately. I even heard various vehicle doors closing, which happens all the time, but by the time I got to look outside, there was nobody there. The note pushed through the door has no attempted delivery time on it, just the shipping reference. Now I have to wait in tomorrow until it comes.

Reply to
Davey

It depends. I've got to get to the front door - assuming I'm not in the loo, the discover the key is not where it should be - it can easity take a couple of minutes. And if they knock rather than ring the bell, I might not hear them anyway.

Reply to
charles

It was Alas Smith & Jones IIRC

Reply to
David Lang

Lucky it's only a delivery and not a fire.

Reply to
David Lang

Yeah..........

Reply to
Mr Pounder Esquire

Even if they cheat on, say, 20 out of 100 deliveries the time saved is only about 10 minutes.

Reply to
Mr Pounder Esquire

Then I could use the door into the garden - or even break a window.

Reply to
charles

Break the window with what?

Reply to
ARW

Yup. So it's just bloody laziness. The package I am expecting is neither heavy nor big, two litre-sized containers, full.

As it happens, I have to get up early tomorrow to unlock the oil tank, as I am the first delivery of the tanker's run, so I will be ready for APC whenever he comes. The APC time is quoted as "between 8 am and 4 pm".

"Accuracy, accuracy".

Reply to
Davey

Ah, I wonder if the parcel has destinated yet? Brian

Reply to
Brian-Gaff

I see that UKmail's tracking seems to be catching up to DPD's features, one hour window, re-arrange delivery before getting carded, drop-by-drop follow the driver, even a text when you're the next drop.

Another piece of integration that impressed my about DPD the other week, I had a delivery due from Hong Kong, supplier had booked the delivery, but apparently hadn't actually shipped the item, the supposed delivery day came and went with no status tracking, I was pretty sure it hadn't left the warehouse, but phoned DPD to check, and a robot voice said WTTEO "we've recognised from your mobile number that you have an overdue delivery to $POSTCODE and are directing you to someone to assist" sure enough the person who answered confirmed the parcel wasn't yet in their hands.

Reply to
Andy Burns

"Actioned" is a noun that has been verbed.

At least they didn't insist that you pick it up from their inconveniently distant logistics centre.

Best one I had was "we tried but you were out".

This was clearly a lie since the village was cut off by snowdrifts and we could not move at all that day. Neither could anything apart from a snowplough - and they were all busy keeping the A19 & A66 clear.

Reply to
Martin Brown

but they still managed to put the card in your letterbox?

Reply to
charles

Arrrggghh! Don't even go there!

That was an option, or the default if the re-scheduling didn't work. 45 miles round trip.

The package was just delivered, the guy knocked sensibly using the door knocker, and gave no hint of having been here yesterday, so I think it was a different driver.

Reply to
Davey