OT: Water RESISTANT iphone

So Apple are just announcing their latest phone will be water RESISTANT. When do we get waterproof ones? I hardly ever take my phone with me incase it rains. And no I don't have an apple one and never will.

Reply to
James Wilkinson

On the other hand those of us who want phones that use a headset we already have cos we use the spoken word to hear what the screen is doing are all gonna need a blue tooth set and what about battery drain and blue tooth adverts and hackers? I remember when another famous cell phone company were plugging their phone and showed it, so I'm told showing a film underwater, I was thinking why? Is this all to stop the clumsy moron who drops their phone in the sea down the toilet or into the bath or what? I doubt if a cell phone signal will be available underwater. do they supply a little buoy with an aerial on it tethered to your phone so you can scuba dive with it? Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Samsung have been selling water resistant phones for years.

Coupled with the insane idea to remover the 1V P-P audo output (a standard that's existed singe the days of valve amps) just show that Apple are losing the plot.

I have some colleagues who use Macbooks at work - I'm trying to plan their replacements, but it's damn well impossible because Apple will not give any time lines for the release of new monitors and Macbooks. And supplies of the thunderbolt display appear to have dried up with no promise of a replacement.

Personally I hate Apple - sourcing them is a PITA and they're sodding expensive.

Reply to
Tim Watts

Exactly. You buy the latest and greatest, and 5 years later its not late, its not great, and its not upgradeable and the latest version of the OS wont run on it, and that means you cant upgrade the apps either.

You basically throw it away, or install Linux on it.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

They're completely disinterested in corporate sales. We ($VERYLARGEBANK) went to talk to them about replacing our ~250,000 Blackberry estate with iPhones and their attitude was "Buy them or don't, we don't care."

Reply to
Huge

They always seem to have been like that, especially with Education.

You'd think they'd jump at the chance of getting more Macs in front of students, but apparently not.

It's cliche'd but my colleagues are web developers and Macs suit them (especially as we deploy to Debian servers and it's easier to load a Mac up with GNU environments to do local dev work).

Otherwise, I'd be suggesting they all buy one of Dell's generally competent laptops. We've already bought loads of Dell Ultra monitors because they are as good as Apple's for less money (and Dell have a 5k monitor now), plus Dell have a decent range of sizes.

Reply to
Tim Watts

Sounds like you need Linux on Dell lappies.

I bought a Macbook Air as my "travelling" laptop, 'cos I liked the hardware. I teeter on the boundary of chucking macOS away and installing Linux in its place. If it were a tiny bit easier, I suspect I'd have already done it.

Reply to
Huge

Of course, Apple is consumer bling these days.

People but it to show they 'know more than to buy microsoft' (or android). and thereby reveal themselves as too stupid to install Linux (or use android).

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

No - as colour control under linux is s**te (and I am Mr Linux Fanboi) and they need to see (or in some cases edit) with excellent and correct colour (we calibrate our monitors with a Spyder Pro).

Even I use Adobe Photoshop and Lightroom at home, which means under Windows under VMWare. There have been times when I've wondered if an Mac would suit me better...

Reply to
Tim Watts

Oh - and to add - I like that no one with a Mac ever (well hardly ever) asks me anything - rather the reverse!

I have 200 servers to support single handed - can't be doing with laptop support too!

Reply to
Tim Watts

A standard line output might will drive high impedance headphones - after all it came from telephone specs - but won't drive low impedance ones - the sort you get today - properly.

I'm wondering if one reason they removed it was to increase battery life?

It's one reason I've stayed clear of Apple products - using their own proprietary connectors and ports - so you are forced into using their peripherals.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

On 09/09/2016 13:24, Dave Plowman (News) wrote: .

But instead you have to run a Bluetooth stack and radio /and/ charge the headphones...

Reply to
Chris Bartram

Well yes. But I'd have thought it clear I was talking about the phone battery life?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Just carry a dog poo bag - very light thin plastic - and if it starts raining put your phone in the bag.

Reply to
alan_m
[snippage]

Don't envy you that.

Reply to
Huge

At least they are 90% debian - so I can do lots of bulk operations :)

Reply to
Tim Watts

En el artículo , Tim Watts escribió:

Yes. I got a factory refurb Dell 27" a couple years ago which has the same LCD panel as the 27" iMac. Gorgeous monitor.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

Oh yes, it was. My point was that you have to run a bluetooth radio and network stack in the phone, hence affecting phone battery life, and as well as that, you get to run a bluetooth radio, network stack, a D-A converter, and an audio amp in the headphones that also need charging.

Reply to
Chris Bartram

Same panel - well that is worth knowing :)

I know panel "sharing" is very common, but I did not expect Apple to be in the mix :)

Reply to
Tim Watts

What do apple actually make?

Reply to