OT: Water Meter

Hi

We have recently moved into a new house with a water meter, our first water bill has come as a bit a of a shock being 3 times our normal usage/bill. The bill contained a meter reading of 83M3 on 19thSept, checked the meter on 22nd it read 88M3 thats 5M3 in 3 days, 2 days with only myself in the house.

I have been monitoring our usage daily since then which turns out to be averaging 0.3M3 per day, which is what our previous normal average usage was.

Any ideas ?

TIA

Paul

Reply to
Paul

Over such a short time and ignoring the decimal digits could lead to considerable inaccuracy in your sums I think.

FYI my wife and I including a near daily run-out for the washing machine use 0.63M / day so any 'family' would be well over 1M I guess.

Andy

Reply to
Andy Pandy

A wild guess: you've got a leak somewhere??

David

Reply to
Lobster

In message , Paul writes

Something left on?

If you query it they may change the water meter.

We had a problem with sudden high water consumption in our last house. Actually brought to my attention by the chap who read the meter - I used to read it regularly, but I'd lapsed.... (who was a water co. employee, not an out sourced bod)

Some one came round, checking for any obvious leaks, or problems with t he system (outside - I guess he thought an indoor leak of the size needed would have been fixed...) couldn't see anything so then they Changed the meter. but we had been there a few years. Issue was never really resolved, but we came to an agreement as to what the estimated consumption for that period would have been

Reply to
chris French

Either they misread it or the previous reading was estimated or you have a leak?

Reply to
Andy Hall

Sounds like a leak somewhere, doesn't it?

Reply to
Rob Morley

In message , chris French writes

Another thought, were both the readings for the bill accurate proper readings - not estimates etc.

Reply to
chris French

Sounds like someone misread 88 for 83 on 19th September.

Reply to
Set Square

Sounds like you left a tap on :-(

Rick

Reply to
Rick

There are just the two of us, the meter shows 0.3M3/day over the past few days at home. OK add a few washing machine loads to that take away the days we spend away from home,might be a bit more but the billed meter readings average 0.9M3/day over the last 3 months.

Next door, moved in 2 weeks before us at home all the time,two adults, two kids, meter reads 50M3 ?.

Other neighbours, two adults, no kids, out working all day 188M3 ?.

Drew off 6 litres, meter shows 6 litres (I assume 1000 litres= 1M3). Checking the meter when going out for a few hours, no consumption?

??

Reply to
Paul

Between 1901 and 1964, the litre deviated from the cubic decimetre, although only in the 5th. significant figure. The volumetric definition was restored in 1964 and looks unlikely to change. Therefore your assumption that 1000 l= 1M3 is bang on. Most flow meters suffer from some form of non-linearity depending on flow rate.

John Schmitt

Reply to
John Schmitt

I would agree with set square, it would appear they misread 83 with 88. Either way, if you have monitored your consumption to be 0.3m^3 per day then there shouldn't be a problem with future bills.

Although it would seem that you have been charged for 5m^3 that you didn't use.

Reply to
Mark

Is your water meter one of those set in the pavement at the bottom of a dark hole? Can indeed be a bit tricky to read, especially if wet or muddy!

David

Reply to
Lobster

Yes maybe, but I am still being charged for 76M3 over 96 days which is

3 times the rate of use I am currently measuring. Methinks I might switch off my water supply at the meter and see if anybody else complains :-)

Paul

Reply to
Paul