No.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Reply to
Phil

In message , harry writes

No.

Interesting that the frame is off camera so could be changed.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

There is a very narrowl gap between two pieces in one arrangement that adds up to one square. Google for "miissing square puzzle".

Reply to
Reentrant

Also the bottom is not clear, there could be half size tiles there that loo like full size. However it is done it is clever.

Reply to
Broadback

I suspect it works the same way at this:

Jon Fairbairn

both times when he takes it out of the box, he flips over the bottom two pieces (nearest the camera) - when he takes it out of the box, which makes the squares go strange in the middle when it is on the table. when there are pieces out of the box, there seems to be more slop too.

Reply to
Toby

Is the right answer. There is at least one explanation of this on Youbend.

The split squares in the centre are the key, and as has been said, when he reassembles the smaller rectangle in the frame, there is a gap at the far end, which has an area equal to the area of the three extracted squares.

Reply to
John Williamson

Precisely. Once he takes out a square, there's a clear crack in the centre of the puzzle. It looks quite small, but I'm sure it adds up to a whole square, and so on .....

Reply to
GB

Yup. I have a feeling we have discussed this here before - except the version with the triangle made from squares. It all comes down to slight errors in the accuracy of the diagonals causing fractional square changes across several that add up to whole squares elsewhere.

Reply to
John Rumm

I've always liked this one;

The Medway Handyman

No, this one is just video trickery. If you examine the 30-frame animated gif you will see that the sections that are removed from the bottom section gradually get bigger while moving to their final positions, so that the one separate portion has nowhere to go.

Reply to
Dave W

You can see the slight dislocation of some of the rows if you look carefully.

Reply to
dennis

Me too. There are two bloody great cuts in the video at 30sec and

2min20 during which three extra pieces have been added and subtracted on the tray while the main pieces are being taken out of the tray. In each case the pieces arranged on the table and squared up do not match at all while the extra pieces are in there the first time, or not in there the second time.
Reply to
Dave W

Wow - it fooled me completely, but I won't give the game away.

Reply to
Dave W

;-)

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

Ah, right.

Reply to
Jon Fairbairn

Me too. But my favourite thing about it is the wonderful, deadpan, completely unexplained, presence of the gorilla.

Haven't seen you much in the Asylum much of late, Dave. Mind you, haven't seen much of anybody.

Reply to
Bert Coules

Probably for another one of these "attention grabbing" videos. There's one where you're to count the number of times some basketball players bounce the ball, and a gorilla wanders on and off the court. 50% of viewers never see it.

Reply to
Huge