OT - Virus troubles (Mydoom)

Page 1 of 3
I know this is Off topic, bust as I am receiving a LOT of infected emails, I though I would just warn people ...
You may have heard about the current virus Mydoom that is doing the rounds
If not, please take note, it is a fast spreading virus!
Full information about it is here http://tinyurl.com/2uzg2
If you have anti-virus software, then I recommend you do a manual update ASAP to be sure you are protected - If you have no anti-virus software, you REALLY need some!!
You can get some for free from http://www.grisoft.com/us/us_dwnl_free.php (This is what I use and recommend)
If you are already running AVG (you will have "AVG 6.0 Anti-Virus System" in your main start menu) Either double-click on the 4 colour icon near your clock, or click on the AVG 6.0 Anti-Virus System in your start menu and select "AVG Control Center"
Once this is loaded, click the Update Manager tab; then press Update Now.
(You will of course need to be connected to the internet, if you are not, it should connect for you!)
Sparks...
Sparks wrote:

On that note, it's worth mentioning that the only sensible solution is to get an email account with server side virus and spam scanning. It will save you *a lot of* time and hassle.
--
Grunff

snipped-for-privacy@ixxa.com says...

I use mailwasher, because I'd rather trust my own judgement than rely on an automated system. YMYV, of course
Neil
Neil Jones wrote:

I'd rather not spend half an hour a day manually filtering a 1000 emails when I can do it automatically! Never knowingly lost a genuine email.
--
Grunff

hehe
What do you use by the way ? i have been having problems with virgin recently and may be forced to move ISP. Shame really, virgin used to be very good, but all they send me is total shit auto response stuff now, nothing of any help at all.
David Hemmings wrote:

We run our own set of scanners (3 of them in series!) for filtering our (and clients') email. Gets almost all viruses, and a high percentage of non-virus spam, without impeding the flow of genuine email.
--
Grunff

If I got that much spam I'd probably do the same.
This also fails, because the virus gets into the server before they discove its a virus. The first few hours, the virus gets in.
Rick

Sparks wrote:

Our email server (which I'm responsible for at work) is currently blocking the SCO worm at a rate of 10:1 compared to the Mydoom one yet I've not heard any warnings going out about the SCO one.

Just had a look on the McAfee site (amongst others) and cant see it listed there!
what is the full name of that one?
Sparks...
David Hearn wrote:

Errrm ;-) think you will find the SCO one *is* MyDoom / Novarg
Cheers,

John.

Doh!
Having read the payload of Mydoom [again!], I see that now!
On the first system startup on February 1st or later, the worm changes its behavior from mass mailing to initiating a denial of service attack against the sco.com domain. This denial of service attack will stop on the first system startup of February 12th or later, and thereafter the worm's only behavior is to continue listening on TCP port 3127.
Sparks...

If it wasn`t for the backdoor payload, i`d strongly consider activating it on my own system just to have a dig as SCO for their position on linux :-p

...or use an operating system which isn't designed to be susceptable to viruses.
--
Andrew Gabriel
Consultant Software Engineer
On 28 Jan 2004 01:12:46 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@cucumber.demon.co.uk (Andrew Gabriel) wrote:

which would that be, all OS are susceptible just MS is a massive target (with dubious security).
Linux has been showing a relatively large increase in attacks recently, obviously as it becomes more popular.

One whose OS is in ROM?
Andy Luckman (AJL Electronics) wrote:

No. That is not enough either. You don't need to patchteh OS to get a virus installed. Any system that can run code that is downloaded from the net is potentially insecure.

Not if it's in ROM - *read only* memory. You might be able to download to a local storage device but any attempts to fiddle with the OS won't work.
-- cheers,
witchy/binarydinosaurs

True, but surely such a system would need some RAM, therefore the virus could be loaded in there!
Of course on a reboot it would be gone, but the virus could infect the system while it is on!
Sparks...

true, but it's effects would be very minimal indeed, also I doubt anyone would waste time writing a virus intended for such a machine :) It's like DEC VAXen - massively popular systems in the late 20th C but not virused because a) it was a multiuser system and b) the system kernel and its device drivers etc were protected from users. People tried to create worms like they're doing with linux, but they were quickly nipped in the bud.
-- cheers,
witchy/binarydinosaurs