OT Virgin - unsolicited calls- sarcasm and more

Just had an unsolicited call from Virgin (even though I reg as don't want such calls). Anyway, the guy said something about having looked at my phone bills he'd got a way to "save me money". Now of course even if that were true, I've had enough dealings with this kind of thing to know that within a space of time that "deal" would magically escalate into a bigger amount. So I politely says I wasn't interested and he then says "Oh so you don't want to save money" (The old psyco trick). I simply said "no". And get this he then says something which could *I* think be taken as some kind of implied threat: "well I'll make a note of that on your account." Yes it might be a statement of fact, but tone of voice etc - can't say I liked that. So I told him where to go and hung up. Q: Is this worth a complaint to Virgin on ground of sarcasm to customer and implied "threat" (in that bad things will happen if I don't go along with the Virgin party line)?

ps I usually just hang up on such calls but was in fact waiting for an important call at the time. Do you have a strategy for these nuisance callers?

Reply to
mike

Yes. If I want to talk to you, I give you my cellphone number. The landline is permanently connected to the fax, and is normally only used for Broadband. It rings three or four times a day, almost always "Number withheld" or "Outside area". If ever I answer, it's one of the scams.

On the downside, the bank and doctor always called the landline until I had words.

Reply to
John Williamson

From my dealings with them I can only conclude they don't give a toss.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

It will be a call center "on behalf" of VM. Make a compliant.

Reply to
Mr Pounder

The way to deal with them is basically to threaten to leave a couple of days after the so called offer. Miraculously you get a lower price for the same thing. Strange that.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

In message , mike writes

For several elections now, I have been waiting for a candidate to doorstop me to pin them to the wall about this. They never seem to come down our road. Our MP is useless anyway judging by the answers to serious questions on other matters from a family member.

Ofcom, TPS etc. are useless. Cellphone reception here is poor, so that's not a viable option. I can't afford to waste money on a device to intercept locally.

Why are random "surveys" not banned except on an opt in basis?

Reply to
Bill

I've never had a sales call from Virgin and wasn't aware you could/ should register to opt out. Whenever I've felt the bill was getting too high, I've had to ring them.

Are you sure it was them? Is it just possible (yes, I know it's highly unlikely) that you're on some discontinued package that could be replaced with something better?

My experience of them is that the only way to get anywhere is to phone the cancellations department. Why not give them a ring and complain about the call and also take the opportunity to try and talk the bill down?

BTW, in case anyone thinks I/you are talking to my/yourself, we're two different mikes.

Reply to
mike

Think about it.

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

Amusement can be had by just giving them random or misleading answers.

Unless they pay you, of course.

Reply to
John Williamson

Yes, I do. That's why the inverted commas are there. On one occasion I stuck with them long enough to find out what they were really trying to sell.

I think it was electricity, but I've stopped keeping the database I started to try to nail one or two culprits. I thought I might have had time to play with them and tease out some info, but it wasn't to be.

Sky denied verbally that "Sky" was them when I complained. They didn't answer my letter of complaint.

Reply to
Bill

Yes. Truecall.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Mr Pounder wrote: Make a compliant.

A compliant what?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

It might be true, after all the people selling sky in shopping centres aren't sky.

Reply to
dennis

I recently had one 'apparently' asking if my transfer of phone & broadband to the new house went OK.

They guy then went on to say he had seem my web site, and did I ever get people asking for advice on phone, TV & broadband services.

I work in a lot of new builds, so I do actually.

He offered me a £50 intro fee for anyone I pass on to him :-)

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

I had exactly the same call from Virgin a month ago. The girl was very poite which just saved her from my usual quick cut-off. I quized her about how she reckoned she could save me money, and she said as there was a high usage on my line I'd be better off on a different tarrif... WHAT? there should be very low usage on the line, so I gave her the usual "if I need a change I'll call you thanks", but it inspired me to check my call log and I found one call of around £20 which must have triggered Virgin - our usual landline use is around £2-3. Turned out my wife had forgoton to use the prefix to divert via a cheap calling company when she rang our daughter abroad. Duh!!

So Virgin were kind of correct - if we were to continue doing that, the tarrif they were on about would have been better.

Phil

Reply to
Phil Addison

My DECT phone can be set up to add the prefix automatically, and can be given rules on which number ranges should make it active. You don't have to remember.

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

Which model is it Chris? I do need to replace our old crappy BT one.

Phil

Reply to
Phil Addison

It is a Siemens Gigaset C475

've had it a while, there may be newer models around.

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

No, it's the "random" and "opt in" bit you need to think about.

No self selected survey is likely to be anywhere near random.

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

I hope you have updated the contact details.

As a limited company you are also required to show Co. registration details.

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q