ot: Virgin speedup - docsis - does it cost?

Quite.

Whilst we have had a BT phone line for ever (with 18185 for the last few years) it recently had a fault, was repaired and now it's crackling. Once I've proved it not our PABX I'll report it to them again.

'Apparently the line goes from our soffit across the road to the pole and rather down the pole to a hole then cabinet, it goes from the top of the pole to another pole (probably at least 100m away) down a side road and then down to a different cabinet? Not sure if that would be good for an ADSL circuit, if I was to jump the VM / cable ship? The only thing really stopping me has been the various ntlworld email addresses we still use (can I carry on using then via another ISP?) and like you, the 'devil known'. ;-(

Is it likely they have run out of wires down the pole, less than the number of lines joining it at the top?

Whilst we are probably no more that 1/4 mile from the local exchange (even as the cable flies), we have mostly ally cables and so I'm not sure how good (performance or reliability) I'm likely to get if I moved my broadband over to ADSL? ;-(

Cheers, T i m

p.s. I just checked my VM account and it suggests I'm on a 'SuperFibre

50' so I'm not sure where the other 25Mb/s has gone in a speed test just now. According to
between 22 and 75Mb/s is typical on VM round here?
Reply to
T i m

No, if you quit VM, your email goes too.

There is a lot to be said for having your own domain, it is quite cheap, then you can then forward your email to whatever company you are with at the time.

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

Do you think they give you a grace period where you can carry on using your email as I'm sure I know of some people who insist they are no longer paying VM but still have access to their emails? Maybe VM have just forgotten to pull the plug? Who is it that handles VM's email now as I thought it went over to Google or Yahoo or summat?

I also heard that it may be possible to pay for just some email, once you gave up your BB from them?

I think that may be a plan Chris and I sort of have that with some emails and my 'spaced' domain. Maybe I just need to move all my NTL/VM email stuff over to that and they I can be firmer when it comes to renewing the contract etc?

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

Then you've be about right;!...