OT: Video to VGA convertor

Hi All,

I have asked a similar question in the uk.dtv.tech ng but I think it falls between many camps but I think someone here (Dave (?), but can't find the thread now) has an exact answer to my question so ..

Can anyone recommend (as in has bought, used and is happy with) a Video to VGA converter please?

Nutshell, mate bought multimedia player (whilst in Goa, DVD, SVCD, Audio CD, MP3 etc etc) that is supposed to have a 'PC' VGA output (15p Sub D 'F' marked 'PC VGA') but that only shows a good but green picture on his dual input 19" PC TFT (tried all the soft settings on this box and that's the best we can get). ;-(

So, we were thinking a 'non-complicated' solution (as opposed to PC TV / Capture cards etc) might be an external converter. The output we know does work is Composite Video + LR audio (all phono) so a compatible box would have similar inputs or SCART I guess. It also has an SVIDEO connector but that's as yet untested.

He could also use said for sideshows from his dSLR, general display from his Camcorder etc etc.

All the best ..

T i m

(oh and Chris Bacon .. please try and resist ...) ;-)

Reply to
T i m

Yes I've got one. The purpose was to have just the one TV screen for test purposes in the workshop, so a VGA one made sense as they're cheap, plus various adaptors for TV etc type signals.

It has VGA, S-Video and composite inputs with an VGA output. Does various resolutions and has control over brightness and contrast etc via either the unit or the remote control.

Results are OK, although S-Video from the FreeView tuner doesn't look as good as proper TV - although I don't possess a LCD TV so it could just be that. It also doesn't allow selection of 16:9/4:3 which would be a problem for serious viewing. Basically, the 16:9 monitor tries to fill the screen regardless. You can get it right via the tuner, but come the ad breaks etc with a different aspect ratio and it latches onto them...

It's this one.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Yep, sounds like my mates scenario as well ;-)

Ok, handy ..

Ok. I don't know why but I don't have high expectancies of these sorta things (amps and modulators etc) .. ;-(

Ok, good point ..

So should be ok with a DVD etc ..

Compact little jobby Dave .. and may I ask *where* you got it from and roughly what you paid for it please?

We found this one ..

and they seem to do a range of stuff in this vein so it could be ok?

All the best ..

T i m

Reply to
T i m

Might be - haven't tried it. Of course my problem might just be the monitor.

I'm afraid I can't remember - except that it was mail order and from something I saw on a newsgroup. A couple of years ago. Cost somewhere around 50 quid.

Might even be better. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Ok, can I hijack part of this thread...

I intend to build a multimedia PC, currently have an Xbox-360 with component video output feeding an AV-amp (switched component, vs the Sky+ -> RGB->Component -> AV-amp) then feeding a projector. Problem is, how to get the new PC to generate component video to replace the Xbox (in all honesty, as a MCE extender it does suck).

So, hijackers demands - how to get component out of a UK graphics card? (I believe US def'n of component is slightly different?)

'tis DIY, but if there's a better group...

(ditto, Chris Bacon)

Reply to
Mike Dodd

Buy a video card with TV out. However, most projectors have high resolution and should be connected directly to the DVI or SVGA output of the card.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

Not if you want the AV-Amp to switch (component) video as well as audio. Also, not unless you want to run a 10m DVI cable. It is an option, but I'm trying to avoid it at the moment.

TV-Out tends to be s-video, which pales compared to component drive.

Reply to
Mike Dodd

My TV-out video card supports S-Video, composite and RGB.

Nothing wrong with S-Video. It removes the PAL artifacts, which is the main purpose of avoiding composite.

However, don't dismiss DVI, given that it may double the resolution of the screen.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

Re-read. I'm after "Component" (not composite, if that's what you're reading) - significantly greater bandwidth than S-video. The whole point is to avoid routing another signal cable (particularly difficult as I fashioned an IEC plug-socket system and the three BNCs for component into a single blanking plate to give a neat appearance on the wall behind the projector. The only blanking plates with a (e.g.) DVI socket are american, cost around $40 and are distinctly different to UK sized boxes.

Re: "doubling the resolution..." - the component drive is pixel-perfect onto the projector.

Reply to
Mike Dodd

Ah. I thought you meant RGB at TV resolution (i.e. via SCART), not analogue RGB multisync (i.e. SVGA via BNC).

You can fashion your own outlets cheap enough using a blanking plate and a panel mounting socket.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle