OT: Victoria

When you buy something you generally specify what you want.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

I caught Miriam Margolyes on Radio 4 Extra on Saturday evening, taking the part of Queen Victoria after albert had 'kicked the bucket' propositioning Disraeli to go to bed with her. It was very good.

Phi

And yet none of the recent drama from the BBC like Wallander or New Blood has been anything like you claimed.

Reply to
KYW

Where d'you get that from? The eighteen hundreds include all years beginning with 'eighteen hundred', which includes all years from 1800 to 1899.

Reply to
Max Demian

And rightly, too. Fuck the BBC 'TV' regime. Even back in the 'radio days' all we heard as kids was, jail if you do this, jail if you listen to that, blah blah.

One time a radio company that expanded it's grip upon many signal bands to the point that BBC merging with the Web now gives them the right to question my online browsing.

It's the digital age. They can scramble the signals and enforce payment upon those willing. Criminalising young single mums who dares let her kids watch programs produced by Freeview(cough) channels.

Fuck'em!!

...Ray.

Reply to
RayL12

But doesn't the 19th century officially start at 1801?

Reply to
Fredxxx

So you're saying that the "eighteen hundreds" is the same as "The nineteenth century"?

The problem here is for some reason we don't have proper words for the first two decades of a given century, giving rise to such lame ones as "The noughties", and as for the current decade , the collective word is just avoided wherever possible. The onesies? teens?

Of course, and I'm surprised Bill didn't mention it, any decade, century, or millennium starts on January 1st of the year ending in 1, not 0, because (notionally) the first century AD began at year 1.

1st Jan 2001 we had a GBFO party at our house.
Reply to
Graham.

Oh no?

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

No that's wrong. You are merely stating your misapprehension.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

Yes, but the expression, 'the 1800s' means 1800 to 1809.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

Just as true of the drama from ITV.

Reply to
KYW

What about "the year of out Lord eighteen hundred and sixty-one"?

Reply to
Bob Eager

No. It starts 1st jan 1800.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Bollocks to that. It starts when the digits turn, that is, 1st Jan

2000. Anything else is just loopy. Does it mean that the first decade was only 9 years long, the first century only 99 years long, etc? Yes. Do I give a shit? No - I'm living now, not then.
Reply to
Tim Streater

Do remember that it's Parliament that makes the law - not the BBC.

Reply to
charles

I dont think it should

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

In message , Max Demian writes

By analogy with "the 1810s" presumably.

I agree with your interpretation rather than Bill's. Similarly by "the one thousands", should we ever use the term, we would mean all years from 1000 to 1999.

Reply to
John Hall

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

There, corrected your deliberate mistake.

18 noughties, maybe.
Reply to
Fredxxx

How long did the first century last, up to 99AD?

Reply to
Fredxxx