OT: Vernier caliper gauge - source?

I need to source some metric vernier caliper gauges, (for work), preferably plastic and with a dial gauge readout - an accuracy of ±0.1mm is sufficient. Nothing too difficult about that, you might think. However, there is a snag.

It is vital that the full length of the 'tail' used for measuring depth is round in cross-section and narrow - 1.5mm dia is ideal. I have just such a gauge, and you can view a photo of it (30k JPEG) at

. (The tail is visible on the right.) I have had this gauge for some years - it is Swiss made and branded Rabone. I think it was sourced from RS Components originally.

So far, all of the ones I can find in shops, catalogues and web sites appear to have tails which are rectangular in cross-section, and far too wide. Either that, or there is insufficient information to work out what the tail is like. I thought I had found what I needed on one occasion, but when I ordered it I found that only the last cm or so of the tail was round. D'oh!

Anyone aware of any makes/models/sources of a suitable gauge?

Ta!

Reply to
Richard Sterry

Can't really tell for sure from the catalogue pictures (including the paper one) but these may have what you want:-

possibly:-

John Rumm

> or possibly:-

former will almost certainly be unsuitable, (the 'right' gauge will almost certainly not be a metal one), but the latter (plastic) one looks as if it might just be ok. I have emailed CPC to ask.

Thanks!

Rick

Reply to
Richard Sterry

Hard to tell from the photographs... I have a distant memory of the first vernier I bought years ago (long since lost). All metal but the depth bar was made from a round cross section rod rather than the more usual flat strip. The one in the first link looked similar.

Reply to
John Rumm