[OT] Vehicle Insurance, No claims discount.

I have a full 8 or 9yrs NCD on my existing car, I have now purchased another car but the Insurance company (Zurich) will not apply the full NCD on my second car. I'm mystified by this as it is I who makes a claim, not the car so logically the NCD should follow the person surely, and I cannot drive two cars at the same time. So my new insurance documents for the new car show a 0 yr NCD. I think it's unfair, so I have 14 days to cancel my insurance? unless this is a common practice.

Don

Reply to
Donwill

The insurance companies will want it both ways. You can be sure if you made a claim off your main car, the second one would suffer too. Don't they ask if *you* have had any accidents/claims irrespective of what you were driving?

I've got 7years ncd, yet every year the premium goes up not down. Never below =A3300 and the value of the vehicle falls by significant amount too.

What would happen if you sold the main car and kept the second car. Would you lose the 9 years ncd?

Dave.

Reply to
Dave Starling

Might look at that here where we have 2 drivers and 3 cars. Two decent ones and an olde spare Volvo which is rather like a lorry for lugging rubble etc around;)..

Not quite that bad .. but my argument is there are only the Two drivers SWMBO and myself so we can only drive the one vehicle at a time..

Anyone else found a way around this one?.

Thats insuring the drivers not the vehicles?..

Reply to
tony sayer

NCD is only applicable to one vehicle. You can own a dozen cars but your NCD only applies to one of them, the others attracting full insurance cost.

Reply to
Pete Zahut

On Sat, 28 Aug 2010 13:51:04 +0100, Pete Zahut boggled us with:

More Than give me the same NCD on both cars. I've had a policy with them for years. When I got another motor for the missus, they gave me the same NCD for it.

Reply to
Mike P

Except when it doesn't. (I've just insured a second vehicle and the broker offered to clone the NCD from the first vehicle if I couldn't find the NCD details for the second...)

I think the real answer is that the rules are arbitrary, illogical, secret, change from person to person, company to company, policy to policy and from time to time. The only thing you can be reasonably sure of is that the interpretation of those rules will generally not be to your benefit.

Reply to
Huge

Probably not applicable to the OP - but classic car insurance on a 2nd car (or even the first - with some restrictions) can be very reasonable.

I used to use Adrian Flux

when I owned a classic as a 2nd car.

Reply to
dom

peter

Reply to
Peter

how do those "multi car" policies check out? Admiral for one

Jim K

I've looked at them in the past and found that the few companies concerned which offer this do offer discounted rates on having more than one vehicle; but that I've still been able to better this significantly by buying individual policies on the separate vehicles, from more competitive companies.

Bit like those outfits which offer 'discounted premiums for ' etc

David

Reply to
Lobster

Someone should at least give you 25 percent introductory if you are the main driver on both?

Reply to
Invisible Man

I think .. thats a dead cert;!...

Reply to
tony sayer

Wrong. Try an Admiral multi-car policy.

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

Not wrong - in my experience at least. Two years ago, I bought my current car (from a private seller so no part-ex facility) before selling my old one. I needed to keep my old one insured until it sold but my insurance company (MoreThan) insisted that my NCD was applicable to one or the other, not both. I could choose to leave it relating to the old car or move it to the new one, but that was it. Obviously I moved it to the new one but it cost me something like £120 to keep the old one insured for two weeks because of the lack of full (any) NCD.

No good for my situation.

Reply to
Pete Zahut

So wrong in opther peoples experience then :-)

Reply to
Man at B&Q

Furry nuff :o) We can each only give our experiences of the companies we've dealt with can't we?

Reply to
Pete Zahut