OT: VE day warplanes

Not the build quailty so much as a happy coincidence of design. And a war which needed tons of them to carry stiff around, ...so ther are dozens of them around still, and they are simple easy to fly airplanes.

How old are the current crop of 707's still flying? 40 years?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

No they are not. They are allowed to fly lower and faster.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

So don't stall it .

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

That has nothing to do wih their age however.

Plenty of modern planes with all teh gear in te world collide as well. More in fact.

Thats what they do.

Formation flying is not a 'stunt'

Its normal military practice.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Firstly have you any evidence that people are being "rushed into hospital" then killed by inappropriate treatment with drugs?

Secondly who would you rather trust your life to, the maintainer of a government database or a doctor?

Reply to
Steve Firth

And loss of the presumption of innocence in much of the governments new legislation. e.g. the Road Safety Bill permits a policeman to seize an individuals proprty if he "suspects" that the property is not registered or insured, the accused must then prove their innocence of the suspicion.

Reply to
Steve Firth

maintenance.

you sure it's not just the lack of insulation?

Reply to
RichardS

Decades ago for quite a few crimes and since then more and more are slowly slipping into the void of magistrates combined with a new approach that it's actually far too hard and expensive to prove someone's guilt so for an increasing number of offences we now presume guilt and have the defendant try to prove there innocence.

Reply to
Depresion

Imprisonment without trial for *suspected* terrorists?

Reply to
Cynic

You mean somewhere unpopulated?

Tell me, what do you suppose is the main purpose of a "display"?

Reply to
Cynic

For the avoidance of doubt,

Reply to
Steve Firth

  1. A&E dept staffed by muppets sitting at terminals because nothing can be done until your card has been swiped. Can't read card no treatment.
Reply to
DJC

What electronic engine monitoring system do you claim is fitted to those aircraft? A C172 built in 1999 that I flew had fewer engine monitoring systems than the 1954 aircraft I fly, and none were electronic. Tachometer, oil pressure, fuel pressure, oil temperature, exhaust gas temperature, ammeter, suction guage, fuel guage. In fact, the 1954 aircraft has an electronic (valve) capacitance fuel guage which is very accurate. The C172 has a float system that is as useless as almost all modern GA aircraft.

I am aware of sophisicated electronic systems fitted to modern turbine aircraft, but AFAIAA piston aircraft are still built with magneto ignition and no electronics.

You can buy an add-on electronic fuel flow guage that provides readouts of fuel flow, quantity remaining and time remaining at present consumption rate.

Reply to
Cynic

You do formation work in your car most every day. You regularly pass within a few feet of cars that have a closing speed of well over

100MPH. In addition, you have practically no open space to either side and are not able to use the 3rd dimension (height) to manoevour. You cannot rely on the other drivers being highly experienced or even sober. You have not spent an hour with all the other drivers beforehand in a detailed briefing session. You have no radio communication with the other drivers. Your car's MOT does not come close to the sort of inspection or maintainance schedule that an aircraft is subject to.

I can assure you that an appropriately trained pilot is safer flying in close formation than he is driving to work, and presents less danger to members of the public.

Reply to
Cynic

I would not say "almost certainly". 100 feet is perfectly adequate to recover from a stall in a light aircraft, even without an engine. I think you may be thinking of a spin.

But that's all beside the point. An aircraft flying at cruising speed or above will not suddenly stall.

Reply to
Cynic

"Computer says no"

Reply to
Robert Campbell

Recently reported as the most dangerous road in Britain....I must say I'm still confused by the way it splits and goes two directions at the same time around Huntingdon and Alconbury....

Reply to
Fat Sam

Built to as UK government spec.

Reply to
Brimstone

Only where authorised.

Reply to
Brimstone

Garden forks?....Quite often in my case....But then, that's more due to the state of my garden, and the fact that I'm a brute-force type of person... Possibly also because I tend to buy cheap ones from Wilkinsons....

Reply to
Fat Sam