OT: Vacuum Cleaners

After reading a significant amount of criticism on this news group about Dyson's I am wondering whats the best comparable vacuum cleaner?

My requirements are for a bagless cylinder vacuum cleaner. What do people think is the best? With Christmas fast approaching it might be time to get that ideal house related gift!

CM.

Reply to
Charles Middleton

I'm glad I'm not married to you :-)

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

I know you said a cylinder, but I just have to plug(!) my favourite upright:

I've never used such a beast of a vacuum cleaner. It's grrreat!

Reply to
Grunff

If you are thinking of giving your wife a Vacuum Cleaner for Christmas, think again. Baz.

Reply to
pjdesign

father in law once bought mother in law an electric can opener for birthday he's never been forgiven or been allowed to forget it by the rest of us.

'tis a nightmare trying to decide what to buy other half for xmas tho.

RT

Reply to
[news]

As a matter of interest, have you tried the equivalent Dyson?

I've got a fairly old Panasonic bag type (a Which best buy) which has been fine, although noisy and with a rather short hose attached.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I have an old DC01, which has been good but is really old now. The Panasonic outperforms that significantly. I also own a newish DC05 cylinder, and the Panasonic *definitely* outperforms that. I've used a DC04 upright, which is quite similar to the Panasonic but a lot heavier.

I think Panasonic have definitely outdone Dyson in the implementation.

I was so impressed with our Panasonic I bought a second - one for upstairs, one for downstairs.

Reply to
Grunff

Anyone who watches Monkey Dust may have noticed the parallels between this and the whole Essex/London thing...

I'm firmly on the Henry side. I note that you can now get them with powered heads that incorporate brushes.

They work with or without bags - I use mine as a shop vac for dust extraction with powertools, so use bags and also the microtex (3 micron) filter (about £25 extra). The bags are fortunately quite cheap.

Reply to
RichardS

Hear hear! You can buy one of those any time. and they're buggers to wrap.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

HA! She's fed him on tinned food ever since? It would serve him right :-)

That's the trouble, you poor blokes have to THINK - and sometimes even have to make a decision.

We wimmin have to do that several times a day ...

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

and look how far you've come !!

/marvellous/

RT

Reply to
[news]

Not if you buy a new one in its box

Reply to
Tony Bryer

Yes, despite male attempts to keep us down!

Thank you :-)

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Er - you still have to choose a suitable wrapping paper ... and decide whether to have ribbons on it. Can you tie bows?

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

It would have to white, like wedding dresses to match the other domestic appliances. :-)

Reply to
Andy Hall

"[news]" wrote | "pjdesign" wrote | > If you are thinking of giving your wife a Vacuum Cleaner for | > Christmas, think again. | 'tis a nightmare trying to decide what to buy other half for xmas tho.

Walk into department store (or QVC website). Buy most expensive thing with "Molton Brown" or "L'Occitan" on it. Buy two more less expensive things for stocking fillers. Job done.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

????

Tell me more!

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

was thinking of a set of dimonique ear rings and a franklin mint figurine (not available in the shops)

RT

Reply to
[news]

I thought the latest was stainless steel. I wouldn't have ss but a designer (hey!) son would have nothing else other than but.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

She'd look like a cyberman!