OT: USENET name vs. real name

Page 3 of 4  
Chris Spyrou wrote:

Interesting bit on the subject here:-
http://www.cdt.org/speech/spam/030319spamreport.shtml
It seems to suggest that the usenet harvesters are pretty week in that they only look at the address in the header of the email - even fully formed email addresses in the body tend to be ignored.
The web scanning versions also tend to work with email addresses that can be found in the plain text of the HTML source. So if you encode the address (and the mailto: part of links) with character codes rather than string literals you will fool most of them.
I expect that the reason for this is that to remove the obfuscation from a web page would require rendering some/all of the web page - far more time consuming, and also would leave the spammer open to attack from malicious web sites (which would be a shame - NOT) ;-)
--
Cheers,

John.

/=================================================================\
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

I would agree with the bit about mid nineties postings, one address I still use gets about 100 spams a day and has only ever been used for usenet (not any more though).
The other new source is these electronic greeting cards, some moron sent one to my work email address which I had been using for over 4 years with not one spam. Within a week it started and I am now getting over 80 a day on that address.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

isbd.demon.co.uk domain which neither of has used for sending mail for years and years. I now simply dump all mail sent to that address as I know no one that I know (or want mail from) uses it.
Is it just that junk mailers use very old lists or what?
According to the CDT survey even addresses which get lots of junk (due to being on a publicly visible web site) get rapidly reducing amounts of junk if you remove the address from the web site. So why do we still get it to our demon addresses?
--
Chris Green ( snipped-for-privacy@x-1.net)

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

I have an email address which was part of the BT Internet trial (around '95, I think). At the time the developers were so naive that they published all the addresses in an American white pages to make us easier to contact. Mind you, SPAM wasn't such a problem then.
My original address has long been a target for SPAM, and I have left the mail uncollected for a while. The mailbox recently had over 9,000 unread messages. This breached the limits set by BTO and all new mail was rejected. I left it for a month or so to see if the constant rejections resulted in the SPAM traffic dropping off. I recently cleared it out but the SPAM is still flowing, so rejected mail doesn't seem to get you removed from SPAM lists.
I have another account where I filter out the SPAM and never reply, but the SPAM seems to be on the increase.
My vote is for a closed mail community where you don't accept any email unless it is from a registered and authenticated user, and all participating MTAs have mutual authentication and a mutual agreement to ditch any SPAM producers. This would shut out a lot of the developing world, but standard email would still be there if you wanted it. However you could be reasonably happy about revealing your email address because any abuse would result in the abuser being barred. This would obviously cost ( a big downside) because you would have to take steps to confirm the indentity of the subscribers. However the cost could be balanced against the current costs of SPAM processing. Doubt anyone would pay, though, as the perception of the Internet is that it should all be free.
Hi, ho - OT rules today :-)
Dave R
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

You should see what happened to my old demon account a couple of years back. A spammer decided to use my domain as their return address. Something like 60,000 messages in a day, including several cretins, who seemed to think that it was me sending them, threatening me with violence. If I ever find the bastard who did it, they will have two less testicles before too long.
Christian.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On Tue, 14 Oct 2003 16:56:08 +0100, "Christian McArdle"

Now there's a thing. Maybe 3 or 4 weeks ago I started getting loads and loads of 'mail failure' type messages from countries I didn't know existed, and looking at the headers I found the reply-to of the original message was one of my email addresses!
So, straight onto Demon tech support who insisted I had one of the current worms on my machine despite the fact I'm behind a firewall and such stuff is blocked before it even gets onto the house network.....
I also get the mails whether my mail machine is connected to the network or not, so SOMEONE is using my address, and the only way I can make it stop is either by changing hostname, which costs, or jump ship to another ISP, which costs......
cheers
witchy/binarydinosaurs
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Witchy wrote:

They didn't used to be quite so thick as most "tech" support, but I'm going back 6 years or so.

I get about 1/2 MB per hour of bounces of this kind on my _yahoo_mail_ account - can't possibly be a worm at my end sending the virus emails. The recent virus mails spoof the from field.
What I can't understand is that the bounce message appears as 142kB, but there's nothing to it (maybe 2k).
--
Chris
-----
Spamtrap in force: to email replace 127.0.0.1 with blueyonder.co.uk
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On Tue, 14 Oct 2003 18:45:19 GMT, Chris Hodges

Yeah, a proper PITA but Outlook rules seem to filter 90% of it. Trouble is they also filter 1% of legitimate mails so I still have to trawl looking for subject lines......arses....
cheers
witchy/binarydinosaurs
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Witchy wrote:

I had that for a while - it seems that one of the recent internet worms picks up a "from" address at random from its victims computer.
Since your email address could be sitting on a computer of someone who has in the past communicated with you, it is possible that if that computer gets infected you end up getting the fallout!
--
Cheers,

John.

/=================================================================\
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Just been through that - though I seem to have been luckier than you in that the mails peaked at about 5,000 a day. I set up a program to scan the "to:" field of the messages on Demon's server and delete appropriate ones without bothering to download anything except the header. Two weeks on, and I'm down to 10 or 20 messages a day which is well "in the noise" as far as spam is concerned.
I (tried to) contact Demon and have so far received absolutely no response.
My personal theory is that this person has / these people have decided that some spam is rejected by intelligent MXes or servers which reject email without a valid domain name in the "from:" or perhaps the "return-path:" headers. They therefore look for valid domains and use "anything@" for a while before moving on.
I'm no techie though, so I could easily be wrong.
Hwyl!
M.
--
Martin Angove: http://www.tridwr.demon.co.uk /
Don't fight technology, live with it: http://www.livtech.co.uk /
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On Tue, 14 Oct 2003 14:34:51 +0100, John Rumm

Interesting you say that, I have found the odd group here and there where it was just plain abrasive for some reason I often wonder about, but never figure out. Now is that just me having a bad group? I'm sure this can happen as most of the time I get on just fine, but there have been one or two! Sure dropped them quickly mind you! ;O) Maybe I just didn't lurk quite long enough - hard to say for sure.
Take Care, Gnube {too thick for linux}
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Gnube wrote:

I suppose it only takes a handful of "less that helpfull people" (i.e. plonkers!) to haunt a group for a while, and people will tire of posting there a look for another group. One bad apple and all that....
I have also noticed there are a small number of people who obviously monitor a large selction of groups for postings on a particular pet topic of theirs. As soon as the trigger phrase comes up, they dive into a thread - cause a lot of heat and noise - and then vanish again just as quickly. Maybe some people just like a good argument - and on usenet you don't need to pay the fiver ;-)
--
Cheers,

John.

/=================================================================\
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Yes. Don't for heaven's sake mention magnets...;-)
--
*Everyone has a photographic memory. Some don't have film *

Dave Plowman snipped-for-privacy@argonet.co.uk London SW 12
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On Wed, 15 Oct 2003 16:02:43 +0100, John Rumm

Known as "grepping loons" in another group I frequent, from the unix "grep" command, used to search files for a given phrase. Some known triggers are spelled with asterisks because of that -- m*gnet*c w*t*r tr**tm*nt for instance.
I like the phrase "grepping loon"...
Thomas Prufer
(My real name is Captain Kirk).
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Thomas Prufer wrote:

LOL... I spose we could include L*g*t b*lbs and po**r cycl*ng in with those! ;-)
--
Cheers,

John.

/=================================================================\
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On Wed, 15 Oct 2003 20:18:35 +0100, John Rumm

more likely f**ki*g B*Q and sc***f*x :)
w
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
wrote:

h**t st*r*
*nv*nt*d c*l*nd*r
c*nd*ns*ng b**l*r
:-)
-- John Stumbles -+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+ -+ The most dangerous component in a car is the nut that holds the steering wheel
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On Thu, 16 Oct 2003 00:05:40 +0100, "John Stumbles"

B*n**y nu*be**ng *nd h*w ** *eac* a m*r*n? ;O)
Take Care, Gnube {too thick for linux}
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
wrote:

In reading the responses on this thread I get the impression that some people might have time on their hands..... :)
PoP
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On Wed, 15 Oct 2003 16:02:43 +0100, John Rumm

Blow me, I hadn't spotted that; interesting!
Take Care, Gnube {too thick for linux}
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Related Threads

    HomeOwnersHub.com is a website for homeowners and building and maintenance pros. It is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.