OT: USENET name vs. real name

Page 2 of 4
On Tue, 14 Oct 2003 01:19:59 GMT, "BigWallop"

That's today's first near coffee stroke keyboard incident! It's not often I go 'pffffft' in 'ere apart from answers to trolling questions about two-way light switches! Oh yeah, and your 'office' incident the other week...

Yep, and thank %deity% there's only one of me :o)

Adrian, and likewise!
cheers
witchy/binarydinosaurs

Hmm - that's a good point! Right then, as one of the plethora of "D-i-y Dave's" I will henceforth change my moniker, to... er... er... Lobster, OK? To echo the stupid hotmail address I use for Usenet posting. The only reason I have that is that when I was setting up the account, I couldn't come up with any damned name which wasn't already taken, and I keyed in 'lobsterpot' without even thinking.
And my nickname isn't Lobster, OK...!?
David

else
Daves
had
Witchy in

Welcome Lobster. Pleased to meet you. :-))
--
www.basecuritysystems.no-ip.com

<snipped>

Yo Lobie! Welcome to the group.
Cheers Clive
On Tue, 14 Oct 2003 01:02:17 +0100, Witchy wrote:
<snip>

I reckon it's all down to personal choice. I've had one or two disagreements with the proponents of the 'real world' names, but there again, this *is* usenet, and we can all be exactly who we want to be, can't we. I recollect an amusing - for the onlookers - flame war a good few months ago when one guy was claiming all sorts of qualifications, which in the end turned out to be one of those phoney US 'University of Life' degrees.
Until someone can come up with a convincing argument that my nick is any less valid than any other name used by other posters, I'm staying as the Wanderer! It also has the advantage that I can choose when to reveal bits of info about myself. What *is* far more important is whether or not other people give any credence to what you have to say. You've given a couple of good examples!
On Tue, 14 Oct 2003 01:02:17 +0100, Witchy

My view is that credibility, like respect, is gained by reputation and not by some mandated arrangement passed down from above. There are people on these forums who have gained a lot of respect from me, some of whom use real names and others who prefer a pseudonym.
The name "John Prescott" could equally be replaced by "Buffoon" and it would make no difference whatsoever to my respect level for that plonker.
PoP

But, and in any case, how do you know a "real" user name is real?
What's the difference between signing yourself PoP or Witchy and putting Fred Jones or Arthur Smith, as the "real" ones could just as easily be made up?
Seems a pointless discussion unless you mean "real" name users put corroborating web addresses etc., to identify themselves or can be found easily on the net.
--
Bob Mannix (my real name, honest?)
(anti-spam is as easy as 1-2-3 - not)

True. Though I suspect "PoP", "Witchy" and "BigWallop" et al would most likely cause the reader to assume "this is a made-up name".
Whereas a name like "Andy Hall" or "John Stumbles" (if those gentlemen would not object to me using them as a reference) is more likely to be assumed to be real.
PoP

Makes naff-all difference. What matters is persistent behaviour under a fixed name, from which the participants build up their own evaluation of the poster's clue quotient. Whether that name is an obviously assumed 'nym, like yours, a given-at-birth name, or an apparently "normal" name bearing no relation to that given at birth, makes very little difference; it's the stability of the name which allows the reputation - good or ill - to be established. There's probably a slight bias in this particular group to meatspace names; in others nyms are de rigeur, and you'd be considered an absolute plonker to use your given name.
A few pests hide behind assumed names, it's true; that's what killfiles are for.
Stefek

Cheers! ;-)
Christian.
On 14 Oct 2003 08:34:56 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@hp.com wrote:

I often think of USENET as being a big pub where you can meet and get to know total strangers without actually meeting them or really getting to know them - there's no guarantee they are who they say they are and could have completely different lives outside the pub.
Having said that the vast majority of the people I've met from either newsgroups or messageboards act exactly like they post :)

Indeedy.
cheers
witchy/binarydinosaurs

Ah, not necessarily, "Rachel" at the weekends..... :-P

I agree with Stefek and PoP - credibility is gained over a while by quality of posts, etc. I don't take too much notice of whether the person has used their (supposed) real name or not unless I thought that they were expressing views that they would not express otherwise (given the nature of this group. I realise that this doesn't extend to political groups).
The only true sin is hiding behind a Usenet name in order to make the post appear as if it came from one of the other contributors.
cheers Richard -- Richard Sampson
Witchy wrote:

The trouble with posting your real name, is if you feel lik egetting involved ina flame war, or duvulging personal secrets, and also have to work in a rather sedate company, and be seen to Be Respectable, it helps to have a fairly anonymous account.
If you upset someone in here, with no useable e-mail address, and no real clue as to your real name, you are unlikly to get directed e-mail attacks, and Animal Rightists thrwoing firebombs at the thatch. For example.
I stupidly did use derivations of my real name on Usenet once. I still get variations in junk mail. Never again. If all I did was uk.d-i-y, I'd probably use my real name. However I wander far and wide, and sometimes get involved in fairly heated argument in the more outre places.
Not everyone appreciates self confessed cannibals in alt.vegetarian etc. Remarkably humourless. Not that I ever DID, its just an example.
In particular, I am no friend to the ALF, and they at least have a history of direct and violent action against people they disagree with.
Its up to you really, but personally, I wouldn't use you real name here.
<snip>

<snip>
Even more OT but I suspect that most of us are technically cannibals :-)
Ever chewed a fingernail and swallowed?
Could even be a vampire - how many people have cut a finger and sucked the wound to clean it?
{Which leads me to ask the difference between a cannibal and a vampire - is it how much of a person you eat?]
Hmmm...must do something productive for a change.....
Dave R

is
I know a bloke who lost two fingers in a guillotine and didn't notice until he was saying good night to the boss.
--
www.basecuritysystems.no-ip.com

Witchy wrote:

I would have to put in another vote for it being the behaviour / past performance of the poster that counts and not the name! I do think that maintaining a consistent name is quite helpful though. Quite often I find that a quick check on google groups will give you a good feeling for reliability of information given by a poster. Its also handy to work out if someone is permanently rude and tetchy or just having a bad day! ;-)
I have nothing against people using nicknames - I just tend to find I lack the imagination to come up with a good one for myself! ;-)
As for spam, I tend to find that obfuscating the address does help in this respect. I would estimate that 90% of the spam I receive per day (60 messages or more) are the result of usenet postings made back in the early/mid nineties. (Due to a couple of posting errors where messages went out with a corrupted from address, I can usually spot the source!). The technique of obfuscation that I use on these posts, and on the way that email addresses are disguised on our web site also seem to work since I receive very little spam to either my "normal" email address or any of corporate addresses (info, sales etc).
--
Cheers,

John.

John Rumm wrote:

I always wondered how intelligent the software is for collecting email address of usenet. Is it not intelligent enough to remove things like REMOVETHIS, NOSPAM, LEAVEOUT etc... or even replace DOT with a '.'? If yes, that's quite worrying.
--
Chris Spyrou
numero communications limited

I guess it could use filtering mechanisms like removing an uppercase word from an otherwise lowercase address, but you've got no guarantee that it would produce a useable address. Plus people usually come up with other ways of spamproofing it, like adding YOURPANTS, THECRAP or THECAT to the message, then you can get some, er, 'comedy' in as well :o) I used to use MAINS in a munged email so I could say 'remove MAINS before proceeding' but got bored with it and reversed my domain name instead.
What WOULD be useful is a definite 'yes' or 'no' as to whether email address harvesting software really does ignore addresses like 'usenet@' or 'abuse@' or 'news@'.
cheers
witchy/binarydinosaurs

Definite NO, I get spam on this account.
KillTheJunk.com now handles my email before it gets to me so I don't worry about it, but I do get junk on this account (news@ used for Usenet only).
Cheers,
Andy

Crap, I meant definite YES.