OT: USENET name vs. real name

Page 1 of 4
Mornin' :)
I know this is an odd question but it's one that's sometimes puzzled me given the nature of USENET, and since this group is perched precarously in Real World (tm) territory it seems a good place to ask.
USENET being what it is means I've had this name - witchy - since 1995; back then I wasn't into DIY as I am now. After a period of anonymousness (internet user since 1993) I took a name from the rather excellent Neil Gaiman/Terry Pratchett book 'Good Omens' - Witchfinder.
Human nature being what it is 'witchfinder' was quickly shortened to 'witchy'
Question for the group - does a real username give credibility to a posting, or is it more the nature of the question? The vast majority of the people who post here use (I assume) their real name and it seems most of the 'odd' questions are posted by people who don't. (Natural Philosopher and BigWallop notwithstanding :o) - you know what I mean!)
cheers
witchy/binarydinosaurs

So it is !

You`d be suprised - in uk.media.dvd most of the posts from people who know what they`re talking about include such nicks as APPRIA40WR*, Bardo, The Incredible Swearing Man and Fatboy - if they`ve been on usenet long enough to adopt a nickname, that`s often a good thing :-}
The newbies can usually be spotted by virtue of using real email addresses rather than "disguised" ones :-}
* taken from Terminator 2 I believe - "a phased plasma rifle in a 40 watt range"

Really? ;-)
--
*The most common name in the world is Mohammed *

Not convinced myself :)
Darren

or more. I currently use snipped-for-privacy@isbd.co.uk which allows me to see what mail was sent in response to usenet postings. This E-Mail address gets *no* spam at all unlike some of my other E-Mail addresses. A recent survey (which did experiments to see where spammers got their E-Mail addresses) showed that by far the largest proportion of spam is sent to E-Mail addresses which are visible on web sites, E-Mail addresses on USenet come a very distant second.

snipped-for-privacy@isbd.co.uk wrote:

I had to abandon a couple of addresses due to junk, most of which was directly attributable to Usenet postings. The address I'm using here is _almost_ real - the spelling of my surname has been slightly altered.
Sheila Viemeister

related to the newsgroups one posts in. However I certainly do get a huge amount of junk mail directed to some addresses of mine which are on web pages so my experience bears out the survey. If anyone is interested it's at:- http://www.cdt.org/speech/spam/030319spamreport.shtml

We have an open link on the site to:
http://www.monkeys.com/spammers-are-leeches
which works wonders at keeping the harvesting tools busy.
--
www.basecuritysystems.no-ip.com

On Tue, 14 Oct 2003 14:54:54 UTC, snipped-for-privacy@isbd.co.uk wrote:

I put an email form on my web pages for initial contact. I dom't actually put the email address. Seems to work.
--
Bob Eager
rde at tavi.co.uk

am much more likely to E-Mail you if I can use my E-Mail client that I'm used to and the editor I'm used to for composing the message.
Apparently if you simply put the E-Mail address in the HTML using the %xx format for characters the E-Mail harvesters won't find the address.

snipped-for-privacy@isbd.co.uk wrote:

I have my email address (as a mailto link) on a well visited site, with many inbound links and a good google rank - and I get maybe 1 spam a month on that address.
This address I get lots of spam for. Lots and lots and lots. But I'm hard. I can take it.
--
Grunff

snipped-for-privacy@isbd.co.uk wrote:

I got nothing at this address until somebody hacked our server and recoverd adresses. I have a filter set to remove mails the server flags as dodgy wrt viruses. Not because I'm worried, I use a Mac, but so I don't have to manually delete them. However the first thing I do on opening my email in the morning is to delete the spam that isn't virused. Fortunately my employment here is about to end so after a while the spam will simply bounce.
Peter
--
Peter Ashby
Dave Plowman wrote:

From long experience I now never use a real email address on Usenet. This is one of the biggest sources of email addresses for the spammers. There are people who sell thousands of email addresses on CDs etc and I know for a fact they harvest Usenet addresses. For a bit of a laugh one day a colleague knocked up a unix script to see how many addresses he could get. It was too easy, the script took 10 minutes to write and after a hour or so he had over 100k addresses... Oh, and it was a trivial matter in the script to take out common spambusters like "yourpants" and "NOSPAM" ...
Also if you use a work address the company's spam filter may block much of the spam created but the employer may well take exception.

I post to several groups including a couple of US ones using my real name and real address.
I reckon I'm sent about 30-50 spams per day, excepting the SWEN worm. About half a dozen get downloaded - the rest are deleted at my server by AntiSpam, and the odd ever changing SWEN that isn't by my limit of 100k which asks me what I want to do with these before downloading.
From what I gather, plenty with munged addresses have been hit hard by the SWEN worm. And some ISPs have been temporarily closed by it too.
To me, life's too short to worry too much about spam when it's so easy to keep down to acceptable limits.
--
*I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize *

As it says in my sig, I never used to use a munged email address, but I was getting in the region of 2 SWEN per *minute* at one point to the "old" email address.
Sadly, my primary email address (different ISP) has now started to get spammed after 9 spam-free months (don`t know how it got "out") and a domain I have email forwarding from has had the odd dictionary attack, but at least with the forwarding option I can give traceable email addresses out...
"Colin Wilson" wrote | As it says in my sig, I never used to use a munged email address, but I | was getting in the region of 2 SWEN per *minute* at one point to the | "old" email address.
I changed my usenet email address and it got SWENned within two hours after just two postings.
Owain

No it isn't, take a look at:- http://www.cdt.org/speech/spam/030319spamreport.shtml Harvesting from Usenet is a very distant second to harvesting from web pages. My addresses I use here rarely receive any spam.

My address is real and gets tons of spam.

That's another thing - I've been flamed before for not using a real email address! I s'pose said flamer could've been a hapless n00b but he didn't stay non-killfiled long enough for me to find out.

Riiiiight :)
cheers
witchy/binarydinosaurs

I've had the nickname BigWallop from my days as an apprentice. I got it because if something didn't fit, I'd give it a Big Wallop and make it fit. But you can give things like transformers, breaker gear and cable binders, that weigh a tonne or more, a Big Wallop when you need them to fit.
So it's the name that stuck to me and not me that stuck to the name. We also had a bloke on our team that went by the nickname Long John and I never found out why, but imagined it had something to do with his trouser department. No. I mean I think he wore long johns under his trousers in winter time. Unlike the rest of us who wore tights. A totally different story there.
But Witchy is brilliant for use on the groups and is less confusing than every one being called Jimmy. So your leaving a space open for someone else to use the same name as your real name, but everyone then knows the difference. An example of what I mean is. I replied to a question the other day, that had also been replied to by Dave, but there are a few Daves who use the group, so I answered back to the wrong question because it had Dave in the reply thread. (i know what i mean) But if it had been Witchy in the name, then I wouldn't have made that mistake because you're unique.
By the way, my real name is Ben. Pleased to meet you.
--
www.basecuritysystems.no-ip.com