OT - urgent advice need on domain hosting

email nominet-at-nominet.org.uk

Explain the situation.

If they say 'OK' what you then do is register the domain with e.g.

123-reg, and all nominet do is change the tag on the record to 123-regs tag, so that 123-reg can alter it on your behalf.

Once its pointing at their DNS servers its yours to admin anyway you want.

there are three things in play.

Nominet, who control the whole .uk domain. Their records will point to the authoritative domain name server(s), and the records can be altered by any member whose tag matches that of the record. Nominet alone can change the tag, or the person it currently 'belongs' to:

The DNS company - say 123-reg who will maintain a domain server record for the domain once nominet points to them, and will if the tag is correct, be able to alter the nominet record so it DOES point to their servers.

YOU, who can then point the dns actual machine and mail records to anything you like. If its 123 you can for either no, or very little, money have them redirect mail to whatever account you like, if you don't fancy setting up your own mail server.

Hosting is entirely separate from mail provisions and entirely separate for handling a domain.

I fir example run all my own hosting and email on a machine that is nothing whatever to do with 123reg but all my domains are registered there,

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Apart from the bits that they don't ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

sory - .co.uk

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

In article , Dave Baker writes

You could consider an alternative. pumaracing.com is taken, registered via a dodgy-looking private whois registrar in Panamá, but pumaracing.org and pumaracing.org.uk are available.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

I did this myself a while ago, and I don't recall it being much of a hurdle. It wasn't that expensive.

I would have thought words with your friend would have been "I'll register it for you", implying he would be just a conduit?

Is he still trading? Perhaps a blog publishing the email exchanges might embarrass him into submission!

Reply to
Fredxxx

I have had to move all of my domains from "xyz", they became progressively worse in terms of server availability, failing control panel and response dropping to zero since October last. After some fast searching I decided on Vidahost and have to say I am delighted with their customer service (amazing fast response to tickets 24/7) and very usable control panel - pricing is good too. They are fairly new but look set for a good future if they carry on the way they are now.

Mike

Reply to
mail-veil

Rearrange these words into a famous phrase or saying:

a I pole with barge touch wouldn't Fasthosts

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

+1

I had to go to Nominet to wrest a domain from them.

Reply to
Bob Eager

On Friday 24 January 2014 00:42 Bob Eager wrote in uk.d-i-y:

Back on 123-Reg.

Their stuff works but I do not find them the easiest to work with. Their control panel is nice but occasionally buggy (sticks/gets confused).

The worst bit for me is there is not API and/or batch update facility. I have a lot of domains for work - though fortunately nearly all just have a couple of CNAMEs so it is tolerable.

If I was using a DNS host full on I'd want a batch facility - it would be easier to host a Linode, run bind and use vim compared to a flashy but clucky web interface.

The other niggle is there is no fine grained control - eg TTL.

Reply to
Tim Watts

And has features that they have never bothered implementing... try the backup sql database button for example! (you can do it in the PHP myadmin - quite often you have to export as text because the gzip option takes so long to compress that the web page times out)

One really annoying one is looking at the list of email forwards on the page, they truncate all the destination addresses so that instead of reading:

snipped-for-privacy@domain.com

it reads:

snipped-for-privacy@domain.com

Now add that to lots of leftover pophost mailboxes like they used to hand out with hosting packages, where the naming format is:

accountname-nnn@pophost.123-reg.co.uk

So how does that show in the control panel:

accountn...@pophost.123-reg.co.uk

The only way to then find out where a bunch of forwards point is to click individually on each and every single forwarding details link from a drop down javascript menu. Then when you back out of that it throws you back to the stock view of the domain, not at the page you were at before.

I am sure they either never test this stuff, or never do it on an account that has 10s of domains and hundreds of email forwards and mailboxes setup on it.

ok rant over... feel better now ;-)

Reply to
John Rumm

Well I've had no problems with domain name registration. Very reasonable prices and free web forwarding and e-mail forwarding. Advance notice of renewals, automatic or manual, advance notice of credit card expiry date.

Reply to
bert

On Friday 24 January 2014 11:57 John Rumm wrote in uk.d-i-y:

Yes - just had the yesterday... AND if you want to change a single forward address, you edit the box. Then you end up with the old and the new address as email aliases. So you think "I know I'll delete the email address and start again". Then it asks you which one(s) of the forward to aliases you want to delete so you can pick the old one and knock it off.

They were on crack when they wrote that...

And that - the number of times I just want to go "back" and end up right at the front page...

Reply to
Tim Watts

You can mitigate a bit by middle clicking (or shift clicking) to open links in new tabs, thus preserving the current page as well.

Reply to
John Rumm