OT unexpected text messages

Twice recently I have received text messages to my mobile from *Jocelyn* explaining that she will not be at work today.

Now I don't know a Jocelyn and certainly don't employ one.

My initial reaction was to text back explaining that she has the wrong number. However, on the first occasion I was in Spain and didn't know how much it would cost, so didn't.

This morning, I have the resources of a newsgroup well versed in scams in their infinite variety.

Is this a simple error? Or..

regards

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Could be a premium rate text number which would cost to reply to so just ignore.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Type the callers number into google.

Reply to
dom

Doesn't this just take you to commercial directory services? I had a very plausible message a few days ago from a UK mobile, I just texted back "Wrong number" and got a response "Sorry". I was sort of assuming that a number beginning +44758 couldn't be a premium rate line (hope I'm not wrong)

Reply to
newshound

In message , newshound writes

Well it spends doesn't, if it's a premium rate number that is being used to scam people, then it might pop on forums etc.

No that's ok, it is standard mobile no. I've had the odd wrong number text and call before now on my mobile Premium rate ones are 09 range numbers (and I think 0871/2/3 numbers are charged at something like 12p min). Does anyone know if the shortcodes can be used in such a way to scam?

Tim's text is probably also a wrong number, but without knowing number we can't tell.

Reply to
chris French

But watch out for 070....numbers...!

Reply to
Bob Eager

Happens all the time - it's no different to any other 'wrong number' call. Providing there's a standard UK mobile number on the display, do the right thing and text the poor girl back before she gets fired for failing to notify her boss she's ill (and for then 'lying' that she DID text him)!

David

Reply to
Lobster

In message , chris French writes

Sorry.

Text deleted and my phone does not store a list of incoming text numbers

+44.....

Next time she decides to take a day off, I'll pay more attention. What made me suspicious was that she referred to a medical prescription which was causing discomfort in a *private* place!

regards

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Well, he didn't sack her last time so I expect she will survive.

Too late now anyway.

regards

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Anyone who *relies* on SMS or email is a tit - they are not guaranteed to deliver the message.

Reply to
Jethro

Any sensible company will have a notification policy that forbids the use of text messages.

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

When I had the @sda.co.uk domain I got a steady of emails meant for Asda. On good days I sent the sender a reply pointing out their error. I offered the domain to Asda but sadly they didn't bite.